LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Assumption. The correct answer choice is (D)

The argument concludes that, since vampire myths existed long before Bram Stoker’s Dracula, the
ability to become a bat is not an essential part of vampire myths.
The argument assumes some older vampire myths did not include bats as essential. Without this
assumption, the observation that vampire myths existed before Bram Stoker’s Dracula does not establish
the conclusion. Since we are asked for a necessary assumption, we must address this gap, otherwise
known as a supporter assumption.

Answer choice (A): This choice might be attractive, but we must not confuse “strictly nocturnal” with
“turning into bats.”

Answer choice (B): The corroboration of other sources on bats certainly does not lend credibility to
the argument that bats are not essential parts of vampire myths, so this choice is wrong. Logically, this
choice is meaningless, as it does not necessarily help establish anything about the European mythology,
because the Central and South American myths could have arisen later.

Answer choice (C): The argument would not assume that vampire myths did not exist elsewhere,
because it is possible that the existence of different vampire myths could help prove that bats are
inessential.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. At least one of the earlier myths must not
portray vampires as able to turn into bats, if the advent of Bram Stoker’s Dracula is to mean anything
about whether bats are essential to the vampire myth. If all of the previous myths contained vampires
with this ability, it would seem more likely that this ability actually is essential.

Answer choice (E): This fact might be helpful in determining where Stoker got his ideas, but it
establishes nothing without knowing whether bats were used before him.
 kamccullough
|
Hello,

I am struggling with problem 18 (paraphrased):

Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula portrayed vampires as able to turn into bats. As a result of the pervasive influence of this novel, many people now assume that the vampire's being able to turn into a bag is an essential part of vampire myths. However, this assumption is false (conclusion), for vampire myths existed in Europe long before Stoker's book.

The the argument depends on the following assumption:

Correct Answer: "At least one of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book did not portray vampires as able to turn into bats."

By negating the answer it supports the author, which I understand, but can you then confirm that the "LSAT author" would intentionally provide this negative answer choice knowing that it has to be negated in order for it to be correct?

I am afraid I am confusing myself more so than necessary.

Thank you!
Kate
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
kamccullough wrote:Hello,

I am struggling with problem 18 (paraphrased):

Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula portrayed vampires as able to turn into bats. As a result of the pervasive influence of this novel, many people now assume that the vampire's being able to turn into a bag is an essential part of vampire myths. However, this assumption is false (conclusion), for vampire myths existed in Europe long before Stoker's book.

The the argument depends on the following assumption:

Correct Answer: "At least one of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book did not portray vampires as able to turn into bats."

By negating the answer it supports the author, which I understand, but can you then confirm that the "LSAT author" would intentionally provide this negative answer choice knowing that it has to be negated in order for it to be correct?

I am afraid I am confusing myself more so than necessary.

Thank you!
Kate
Hello Kate,

Thank you for your question, though I am not sure I understand it. Of course, any correct answer for an assumption question has to pass the assumption negation test, or the answer would not be correct. However, I don't know if the LSAT author thinks to herself or himself, "Hmmm, I am providing this negative answer choice knowing that it has to be negated in order for it to be correct." I doubt they go through that actual thought process; they likely just look for a correct answer, which, again, must logically be able to pass an assumption negation test.
I hope this clarifies, but if you have any further question about this, please let me know,

Hope this helps,
David
 lsatjourneygirl
|
What would the negation for answer choice D be?

Would it be

None of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book portrayed vampires as able to turn into bats

OR

None of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book did not portray vampires as able to turn into bats.

thank you!

also, what would be the negation of "At least one person does not like cats" (some people do not like cats)

would it be "Nobody does not like cats" which would translate to "all people like cats"? I know Not all-all and none-some, but these examples confuse me
 Ladan Soleimani
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatjourneygirl,

When negating the sentence you don't want to negate twice. Answer choice (D) negated would be

'None of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book did not portray vampires as able to turn into bats.'

With your cats example if the original statement is

'At least one person does not like cats'

then the negated version would be

'There is no one that does not like cats',

which would translate into 'everyone likes cats'. Remember, with logical opposites, when you combine both opposites you should have the whole range of possibilities. Like with the opposites 'cold' and 'not cold'. If your opposites were 'cold' and 'hot' you would be leaving out an entire range of temperatures that are neither hot nor cold. With the cats example your first sentence gives you all the possibilities of at least one person not liking cats, up to and including everyone not liking cats. Then the negation provides the remaining possibility of no one not liking, or everyone liking, cats. Does that help?

Ladan
 lsatjourneygirl
|
Yes this is great! I got confused for a second, thanks for clarifying.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.