to the top

#7 - A certain retailer promotes merchandise by using the

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Complete Question Explanation

Must Be True—SN. The correct answer choice is (D)

This stimulus presents several conditional statements regarding a certain store's policy concerning sales:

At all times there is either a managers sale, or a holiday sale, or both:

no manager's sale → holiday sale

no holiday sale → manager sale

If a manager wishes to clear out a line of merchandise, they have a manager's sale:

manager wishes to clear → manager's sale
If a holiday falls within a given month and there is excess merchandise, they have a holiday sale:

holiday

and .......... holiday sale

excess

In August, there is no holiday and no excess:

..... ..... ..... no holiday

August .......... and

..... ..... ..... no excess

The question stem is a Must Be True, so the right answer choice should be confirmed by the conditional statements above.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is not supported by the passage; all we can say is that if there is excess in any holiday month, there will be a holiday sale. If there is no excess, we have no information on what the store will do.

Answer choice (B): This incorrect answer choice is unsupported by the stimulus, as there may be other months without holidays, and other holiday months without excess.

Answer choice (C): We know that this is unsupported; there could still be excess merchandise, and there could still be a concurrent holiday sale as well.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice, confirmed by the first conditional rule presented in the stimulus: there is always either a managers sale, or a holiday sale, or both.

Answer choice (E): This is a mistaken negation of a portion of the final conditional rule. According to the stimulus, if it is August there is no excess: ..... August → no excess

This choice incorrectly asserts a mistaken reversal: ..... no excess → August
rameday
LSAT Leader

How would I diagram this? At all times there is either a managers sale or a holiday sale or both going on?

MS :dblline: HS I know this means one or the other but not both.

A
Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hey rameday,

You're close! The fact that at least one must always be occurring means that they can't both be absent, hence we'd show it as follows:

..... MS :dblline: HS

What that means is that if one is not present/happening, the other must be. By default this also allows the possibility of them happening simultaneously...it merely rules out the option of them both being removed.

Hope that helps!
Jon Denning
PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning