to the top

#20- Scientist: Some critics of public funding for this

smile22
LSAT Master

For this question, I diagrammed the stimulus as follows:

public funding justified :arrow: indication of how public will benefit

The stimulus concludes that if the critics are correct, then there would not be public support.
Based on this, I question whether the principle above should be followed considering that there would not be public support for the funding even if there is an indication of how the public will benefit. For this reason, is that why answer E is correct?
Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hello,

You did a great job diagramming! The scientists here are basically arguing that the critics are wrong - there's no indication of how the public will benefit, but there is still strong public support, and it should be funded. Therefore, E is correct.
smile22
LSAT Master

Thank you for the explanation!
est15
LSAT Leader

Why isn't A the right answer? I thought that if the social impact of the new drugs being tested were poorly understood then they shouldn't be brought to the market as quickly.
Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Est!

Thanks for asking this question, which has a very simple answer (I believe :-D ) .

It appears that you have misread the answer key. Answer choice (A) is the correct answer for this question.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks!

Ron
est15
LSAT Leader

Hi Ron, I meant to ask why B isn't the right answer. I thought that if the social impact of the new drugs being tested were poorly understood then they shouldn't be brought to the market as quickly. Sorry about the typo!
Ron Gore
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Ah! That makes more sense. :-D

The problem with answer choice (B) is that it references drugs that are "being tested," but not necessarily being marketed. Since we do not know whether the drugs referenced in answer choice (B) are being brought to the marketplace, (B) has no impact on the conclusion.

Thanks,

Ron
elewis10
LSAT Apprentice

Ron Gore wrote:Hi Est!

Thanks for asking this question, which has a very simple answer (I believe :-D ) .

It appears that you have misread the answer key. Answer choice (A) is the correct answer for this question.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks!

Ron

I thought E was the right answer?
Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi elewis10,
Sorry for the confusion. E is the correct answer.
-Malila
chian9010
LSAT Leader

Could anyone please explain why A is not the correct answer?