to the top

#24 - Scientists, puzzled about the development of

wwarui
LSAT Leader

Hi Dave,

Question 24 is not clear at all. I do not seem to see the connection between the answer and the assumption in the question stem.

Thanks.
Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

wwarui,

Look at the first sentence of the stimulus: "Scientists, puzzled about the development of penicillin resistant bacteria in patients who had not been taking penicillin, believe they have found an explanation." Why would scientists be puzzled about the development of penicillin resistant bacteria in patients who had not been taking penicillin? This is the unstated assumption - that there were some who did take penicillin and developed penicillin resistant bacteria. It's easy to explain that latter fact, as it's easy to explain why someone taking penicillin might develop bacteria resistant to it, but very difficult to explain why someone not taking penicillin would also develop bacteria resistant to it. So that assumption and the fact mentioned in the first sentence, taken together, create the puzzle that caused scientists to investigate the phenomenon and ultimately come up with the mercury explanation in the stimulus.

Robert
wwarui
LSAT Leader

Hi Robert:

Oh my goodness! I never saw this and so when I read the question I was so confused. I was trying to look for something else and, of course, I couldn't figure it out. I took this as part of an untimed test. I spent so much time on this question and I still got it wrong. When I saw the answer, I felt lost.

Thank you so much for clarifying this. Naturally, I have noticed that when I do not understand the stimulus I do not get the answers right.