to the top

#23 - Political candidates’ speeches are loaded with promise

Applesaid
LSAT Leader

Hello!

Again this is my weakness in flawed reasoning.

I reasoned the stimulus like this: because politicians' purpose in giving these speeches is to get themselves elected, these speeches are selfishly motivated and the promises in them are unreliable.

So I thought "ok, just because the motivation is selfish doesn't mean that speeches they made have to be unreliable." So the correct answer choice D looks right and my prephrase led me to it correctly this time. But wait a minute, I started to debate between D/E when I continued to look at the remaining answer choices. And why not E?
David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Applesaid wrote:Hello!

Again this is my weakness in flawed reasoning.

I reasoned the stimulus like this: because politicians' purpose in giving these speeches is to get themselves elected, these speeches are selfishly motivated and the promises in them are unreliable.

So I thought "ok, just because the motivation is selfish doesn't mean that speeches they made have to be unreliable." So the correct answer choice D looks right and my prephrase led me to it correctly this time. But wait a minute, I started to debate between D/E when I continued to look at the remaining answer choices. And why not E?

Hello,

"Worthiness" is not an issue here, so E doesn't work.

David