to the top

#22 - "This company will not be training any more pilots in

lawschoolforme
LSAT Leader

Hello,

I agree that A is the right answer, but why is B wrong? Also, what's the difference between "in the long run" and "the foreseeable future"?

Thanks!

-lawschoolforme
David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

lawschoolforme wrote:Hello,

I agree that A is the right answer, but why is B wrong? Also, what's the difference between "in the long run" and "the foreseeable future"?

Thanks!

-lawschoolforme

Hello lawschoolforme,

Is this the question starting "This company will not be training any more pilots in the foreseeable future, since we have 400 trained pilots on our waiting list who are seeking employment"? If so: it's maybe precisely because "the long run" is a lot "longer" than "the foreseeable future", maybe. "Foreseeable" may be synonymous with "not the FAR future", whereas "long run" could be a zillion years from now, so to speak.
It doesn't have to be a zillion years from now, of course. But it could. And A is just a much better answer, since if six companies need 100 pilots each, and only 400 are on the wait list…, then "Do the math!", as they say.

Hope that helps,
David
LustingFor!L
LSAT Leader

Is B wrong too, because it is attacking the first sentence, a premise, while A challenges the conclusion?
AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

As David explained, answer choice (B) isn't as strong of an argument as answer choice (A). Answer choice (A) demonstrably proves that the underlying math is incorrect and new pilots will, in fact, be trained in the foreseeable future.

By contrast, answer choice (B) discusses what will happen in the "long run." This is off-point since the argument is about what will happen in the "foreseeable future." The argument in the stimulus is focused on one time period while (B) is focusing on another. It's not a strong attack.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck studying!