to the top

#17 - A safety report indicates that, on average, traffic

lilmissunshine
LSAT Leader

I did want to ask a question about #17. Is answer choice (E) incorrect because it's irrelevant?
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

I'm not sure I would say it was irrelevant, lilmissunshine, but it certainly doesn't resolve the paradox here because it tells us nothing about why this is happening. Why are fatalities the same even after the seat belt law went into place, when the safety report suggests that they should have gone down? Answer E tells us only that of the people who died, most apparently weren't complying with the law. But why weren't they fewer in number? Why were they not complying? This answer leaves us still wondering, instead of saying "oh, okay, now I understand", which is how we should react to an answer that does resolve the paradox. Think of Resolve answers as being causal - they give us the cause for the odd, unexpected effect in the stimulus. Answer E tells us nothing about the cause, but only some details about some of the effects.

Try that causal approach on your next Resolve question and see if that makes sense!
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam
lilmissunshine
LSAT Leader

Thank you (again) Adam! :)