to the top

#16 - Researchers studying artificial sweeteners have long

ellenb
LSAT Master

Dear Powerscore,

For this question, i had a problem picking the answer, since I did not like none of them. I though that C was better than all of them, but ended up picking E. However, for C, we cannot predict the future, we cannot know that the researchers will not discover a substance that will be periceved more sweeter. From my experience with LR, it the answers that predict the future are more likely wrong. Since, we cannot really predict the future. And this is what Answer choice C is exactly doing. Please let me know why answer choice is better than the others.

Thanks in advance,

Ellen
Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi ellenb,

Thanks for your question. In that one, the author provides that the fewer molecules required of a substance to activate a sweetness receptor, the sweeter that substance is.

And, the author tells us that researchers have found a substance that requires only one molecule for sweetness receptor activation--nothing can activate a sweetness receptor with no molecules, so it doesn't get any sweeter than this new substance--and that is provided by correct answer choice C.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
Steve Stein
PowerScore Test Preparation
ellenb
LSAT Master

thanks Steve, I understood that one molecule will make the receptors think that the substance is super sweet, however, I thought that it is a very strong statement to say that they will not find anything sweeter than that? that is what I had a problem with the strength of the statement. They could possibly make one that would seem sweeter, we just do not know for sure on way or the other. And the answer seems very categorical.
Thanks

Ellen
ellenb
LSAT Master

Sorry, I meant to have a follow-up question with this, so there can never be anything sweeter since one molecule it is the sweetest that we can go? It just seems such a strong statement to say that we will not be having anything sweeter in the future.

Thanks
Ellen
Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi ellenb,

Thanks for your response. This is a tough one! The author provides that the activation of the sweetness receptor determines our perception of sweetness. Again, the fewer molecules required, the sweeter the substance is perceived to be.

Now they have a substance that can activate the sweetness receptor with a single molecule, and the stimulus also provides that no molecule can activate more than one sweetness receptor. That supports the idea the this new substance's record for "most sweet" can be tied (if another substance can also activate a receptor with a single molecule), but not beaten (since no single molecule can activate more than one receptor).

I hope this is helpful--let me know--thanks!

~Steve
Steve Stein
PowerScore Test Preparation
na02
LSAT Leader

Hi,

I can't seem to rule out B;
I took "sufficient quantity" to mean "at least one" and so molecules can activate a sweetness receptor because the stimulus says "any given individual molecule of substance" --> Is this "substance" referring only to "artificial sweeteners," and thus the "any" substance in the answer choice makes it wrong?

Thank you