to the top

#19 - Editor: Many candidates say that if elected they will

saranash1
LSAT Master

19. I don't understand how answer a strengthen's the editor's arguments. The argument claims that governmental intrusion in to the lives of voters will rarely be substantially reduced over time in a democracy.

The campaign promise is that they will reduce governmental intrusion into voters lives.
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Sara,

The campaign promise is that they will reduce governmental intrusion into voters lives.

Yes, but these candidates are not the ones being elected. If you read past the first sentence, you'll see a counterpoint: "but voters actually elect politicians who instead promise that the government will provide assistance...". This assistance comes with strings attached (taxes), which is why the author argues that gov't intrusion into our lives will not be substantially reduced.

This line of reasoning is predicated on the idea that the politicians we elect actually keep their promises. Answer choice (A) supplies that inherent supposition.

Hope this helps!
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
saranash1
LSAT Master

How are they keeping their promise to reduce governmental intrusion if the taxes aren't going down b/c they are being spent on governmental assistance. & taxes can be considered a form of governmental intrusion?
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

As I explained earlier, the politicians elected are not the ones promising to reduce government intrusion:

"but voters actually elect politicians who instead promise that the government will provide assistance...".

The stimulus compares two different groups of politicians - those who promise to reduce government intrusion, and those who promise to provide assistance. We elect the latter, not the former.
Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Test Preparation
saranash1
LSAT Master

Oh ok. I didn't put the two and two together that the politicians elected where the ones that promise that the government will provide assistance.