LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

voodoochild
|
Experts,
On line 36 author uses "were also intended" ... Does this mean that "many anthropologists" also agree with what "some anthropologists" said in Para 1? Just curious. --- i.e. Many anthropologists are adding another dimension to what's stated by "some anthropologists" and to which author agrees.

Thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey voodoochild,

Interesting question. Since the passage has no earlier reference to the intentions of the paintings, the "also" appears to refer to the Aurignacians' extracting a living:

They had to cope with their consistent struggle to extract food from hunting and gathering, and many anthropologists hypothesize that the paintings were also intended to ensure a steady food supply.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
Hello Steve,
Thanks for your reply.
Steve Stein wrote:Hey voodoochild,

Interesting question. Since the passage has no earlier reference to the intentions of the paintings, the "also" appears to refer to the Aurignacians' extracting a living:
But, logically that doesn't make sense. The description you have highlighted is about "hunter gatherers" and not about the art forms. How could the second clause refer to intentions of the painting when the earlier clause referenced Aurignacians? That's a logical mismatch. Isn't it? I do see the reference to painting and intentions on line 9. I am still not clear WHY you are saying that "also" on line 36 is referring to lines 32-35. That doesn't make sense. Please help. Thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi voodoochild,

Thanks for your response. Again, "also" may reference the fact that the art was intended, on top of their other efforts, to help ensure steady food supply: Considering that the Aurignacians had to deal with much struggle, hunting and gathering, in an effort to ensure a steady supply of food, many anthropologists suggest that the paintings were also intended as a part of that effort to ensure a steady supply of food. "Also" may also refer to the previous paragraph, referring to the fact that the art was intended, on top of whatever aesthetic enjoyment may have been achieved, to help ensure the steady supply of food. Either way, thankfully no question that accompanies the passage turns on that issue. I hope that's helpful!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.