to the top

#6- AP, Must, CR

pinsyuanwu
LSAT Novice

Dear Powerscore Staff

I cannot see why (D) is correct. The author expresses his view from 3rd and 4th passage but I am not sure where to infer the author's view traditional detective fiction. Please kindly assist.
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

The answer can be found in lines 45-50, pinsyuanwu, quoted here:

Here her determination to leave areas of ambiguity in the solution of the crime and to distribute guilt among the murderer, victim, and bystanders points to a conscious rebellion against the traditional neatness of detective fiction.

In these lines, the author is indicating that the traditional detective novel does not have these characteristics of James' latest book. It does not have ambiguity in the solution, and guilt is not distributed. James is said to be rebelling against those traditions. That pretty strongly suggests that in a traditional detective novel, the solution to the crime should be clear, and the murderer should be the only party who is seen as guilty. That's the "straightforward culpability" in answer D!

The author seems to mostly like James' work, and thinks it's time for her to try something outside her usual genre, but he still has a clear sense of what that genre usually requires.
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam