#16 - Art may make the world more beautiful, but one should

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below!
Stretchpass
LSAT Novice

Hello,
I correctly identified C as the right answer, but I was torn between C and A, and would like to know why A is wrong, because I often see answer choices like this and am tempted by them, so establishing a pattern of why it's wrong would be great moving forward.
Here's what I figured: C directly addresses the main reason for supporting the argument, that perhaps other jobs also provide wages based on subjective evaluation. This clearly weakens the argument. However, why is it not logical for me to point out a flaw in the conclusion? Based on the premises, the conclusion establishes that you should choose a different career because payment is based on subjective criteria. Maybe the flaw is that it is wrong or insufficiently supported to base a career decision solely on compensation?
I guess what I'm trying to figure out with this question is whether it could ever be possible for the flaw to be located in the conclusion. Is it just a distraction? Must I find the flaw in the premise or the reasoning that supports the conclusion? Is it possible that the wording of A could be such that it could have been the correct answer?

I really appreciate it!
James Finch
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Stretch,

This is one of those very tricky questions with a very attractive wrong answer choice. Here, it requires a precise reading of the language to understand why (A) would be incorrect. As you note, (C) directly relates to an assumption being made in the stimulus, with all the language matching up properly. (A), however, is dealing with a related but different concept than the stimulus: how much a profession pays, presumably in aggregate (think annual salary), versus the conditions of payment (payment being contingent on a subjective evaluation of the work). Just because there are times when nobody likes a piece of art and won't buy it doesn't mean that its artist doesn't make a ton of money overall. It's just that it's a variable, potentially feast-or-famine situation rather than a guaranteed salary. We have no idea how much a career in art pays, nor how an artist's earnings would compare to other careers. So (A) actually requires an additional assumption on our part, that a career in art doesn't pay well, to be correct, while (C) doesn't need that extra help.

Hope this clears things up!