to the top

June 3rd, 2019 LSAT Information and Discussion

proudcanasian
LSAT Novice
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:21 pm
Points: 2

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your input. It helps a lot! In my understanding, 25 questions are experimental and they are distributed among the LR, LG and RC sections? I wonder if a significant section of LG is "experimental," for they are so tough and weird and takes time to solve. I did terrible on my LG and I am usually decent with it.. Hence, I want to assume that half of the LG section was experimental.

Thanks!


Jon Denning wrote:As Monday's LSAT concludes, test takers throughout the US and Canada naturally wonder what to make of their experience, and are eager to hear more about the experiences of others. To aid in that, this thread allows you to provide general feedback about your LSAT, and will serve as a one-stop repository for all of the details that PowerScore is able to gather on the test from various public sources.

This information can then help you better predict your own scoring outcomes, and determine whether to keep or cancel your score (although these days you rarely should cancel since only your highest score matters). For more assistance on making that decision, please visit: The Ultimate LSAT Scoring Guide: Should You Keep or Cancel?

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Note: The list below will be updated in real time as we learn more about the exam, and thus is neither official nor complete while the discussion is ongoing. If you are considering canceling based on the details provided here, give this thread a day or two so that we can make sure all of the information is accurate.


Scored Sections

    Real Logic Games (not necessarily in order)

      1. Different occupations (nurse, judge, etc)
      2. Product commercials (granola, truck, etc)
      3. Oil paintings and watercolors
      4. Volunteers at booths at a movie festival


    Real Reading Comprehension (not necessarily in order)

      1. Movie and reproduction issues
      2. Fish farming
      3. Use of informative witnesses (testimony validity)
      4. African musical traditions/storytellers: Wolof/jazz, blues music; griots

    Real Logical Reasoning

      Art being divisive
      Politician re-election (good policies)
      One way roads and buses
      Billing for not snowplowing sidewalks (fines/citations)
      Vitamin C [apparently both real LR sections had a Vitamin C question...]
      Birds and spiders
      Evil vampires
      Cheetahs
      Killer whales
      Healthy oats
      30 volunteers for a candidate to win
      Introduction of snakes to an environment caused more spiders by eliminating birds
      Ground sloth extinction
      Disagreement about public art in democracies
      Movie maker whose movies all have similar characteristics (2-speaker question)
      Smokers who produce a chemical (ID'd by letters & numbers) smoke more
      Pilots on lower calorie diets
      Vegetables which have lypro...something (definitely started with an L) nutrient reducing risk of ...stroke?
      Journalism inaccuracy from ads & subscriptions
      Life in other galaxies unlikely / heavy elements from sun (helium)
      Fruit enzyme and cancer [this could be a Vitamin C question]




Experimental Sections

    Experimental Logic Games

      Art on walls of a room
      Cruise ship
      Authors of a scientific paper (grads, undergrads, scientists, etc)


    Experimental Reading Comprehension

      Brooklyn, Illinois, and African-American industrial workers
      Isotropic vs archaeological findings regarding the transition to Neolithic agriculture
      Plant GMO (comparative)
      Bird species theories
      Reliability of markets
      Religious items, speeches, and contexts (comparative)


    Experimental Logical Reasoning (remember, there are multiple LR Exps, so you may not have had some of these questions even if you had 3 LRs)

      Monkeys getting fruit
      Treating diabetes (costs of monitoring and complications)
      Poetry and critics (dealing with mistaken attribution/authorship)
      Female characters in fiction w/ mismatch between personality and the world/surroundings


Uncertain




    Section orders and question counts

      LR-RC-LR-LG-LR
      RC-LR-RC-LR-LG
      LG-RC-LR-LG-LR
      RC-LR-LG-LR-LG


      LG: 23 questions
      LR1: 26 questions
      LR2: 26 questions
      RC: 27 questions
      Total: 102 questions [Only two other disclosed tests have had 102 questions: October 1992 and December 2010]

      Final scoring scale prediction is -11 for a 170.

    ericau02
    LSAT Leader
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:41 pm
    Points: 76

    T.B.Justin wrote:Hi Ericau,

    The last two games were challenging for me as well. I had to resort to brute force on a few of the questions.



    Right!!! Okay a little relived to know that it was not just me! Good luck on your scores! keeping my fingers crossed for all LSAT takers.
    proudcanasian
    LSAT Novice
     
    Posts: 2
    Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:21 pm
    Points: 2

    ericau02 wrote:
    T.B.Justin wrote:Hi Ericau,

    The last two games were challenging for me as well. I had to resort to brute force on a few of the questions.



    Right!!! Okay a little relived to know that it was not just me! Good luck on your scores! keeping my fingers crossed for all LSAT takers.


    I had to take a wild guess on the 2 sections of LG.. It really caught me off guard. Nonetheless, I feel confident with the rest of the exam. I am hoping for a 170 at least. But after that challenging lg fiasco, I don't know anymore..
    griffan15
    LSAT Novice
     
    Posts: 1
    Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm
    Points: 1

    Dave Killoran wrote:
    ericau02 wrote:So how does the curve work exactly? Can anyone explain, is it only for those that actually achieve a 170. Is it beneficial to all LSAT takers?
    Also in deciding on whether to cancel your score or not, how do multiple scores look on your LSAT application, do they count against you?
    I am not really sure how I did when I was running out of time I had to bubble in some questions. I am usually really good and the comparative passages for RC but the riot one was pretty dense,and there was one other that I am not too sure about.


    This should help: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/scale.cfm

    These days, only the highest score matters; multiple scores aren't considered notable anymore up to about 4-5 takes.

    Thanks!


    Hey Dave, quick question: what if you're applying to HYS, and have multiple takes (5x, two are cancels; but two times the LSAC paid for the retake because the centers were compromised)? I have no idea how all these takes will affect me. I'm 1/2 deaf, and the noises were awful each time. I even turned down a free retake and attached letter from LSAC after one of the exams because it was getting ridiculous to have all these LSAC addenda. I do have a high score on file (I'm at Yale's median), but retook June because all my PT were at least 5pts higher, and I'm hoping to strike luck with a quiet center one of these days. Wondering if you have any input
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff
     
    Posts: 3186
    Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm
    Points: 3,182

    proudcanasian wrote:Hello Jon,

    In my understanding, 25 questions are experimental and they are distributed among the LR, LG and RC sections? I wonder if a significant section of LG is "experimental," for they are so tough and weird and takes time to solve. I did terrible on my LG and I am usually decent with it.. Hence, I want to assume that half of the LG section was experimental.


    Hi Proud,

    NO, this is not correct! All the experimental questions are in a single section. Anything that was real is in a section where all the questions are real!

    Thanks!
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Test Preparation

    Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff
     
    Posts: 3186
    Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm
    Points: 3,182

    griffan15 wrote:Hey Dave, quick question: what if you're applying to HYS, and have multiple takes (5x, two are cancels; but two times the LSAC paid for the retake because the centers were compromised)? I have no idea how all these takes will affect me. I'm 1/2 deaf, and the noises were awful each time. I even turned down a free retake and attached letter from LSAC after one of the exams because it was getting ridiculous to have all these LSAC addenda. I do have a high score on file (I'm at Yale's median), but retook June because all my PT were at least 5pts higher, and I'm hoping to strike luck with a quiet center one of these days. Wondering if you have any input


    Hi Griffan,

    Good news here: no impact! Simply explain to them via addendum what happened with the two problem takes. You will elicit sympathy, not judgment from them due to your numerous LSAC issues. They'll ignore the cancels and understand you were trying to improve your score position :-D

    Thanks!
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Test Preparation

    Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    desertmedic
    LSAT Novice
     
    Posts: 1
    Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:58 am
    Points: 1

    Taraleanne wrote:
    ericau02 wrote:
    Taraleanne wrote:Hi,

    I am curious if anyone might know which LG was experimental from the test RC-LR-LG-LR-LG. Was it the first or last one? Thanks in advance!






    I think it may be different for everyone but I had the the same order RC-LR-LG-LR-LG.



    Yeah, it looks like there were 4 different variations of sections/section order. I am trying to figure out which LG was experimental- was it the first LG (which was section 3) or was it the last LG (which was section 5).

    I did a lot better (I hope!) on the last LG so I am hoping the last one was the scored LG.

    RC-LR-LG-LR-LG

    Update: I found out the LG from the 3rd section was experimental and the last one from the 5th section will be scored!


    So does this vary from test to test? I had the same order of sections: RC-LR-LG-LR-LG, but I felt a lot better about the third section than the fifth. The third was easier in terms of questions, while the fifth I just struggled through. I'm trying to recall the questions. I think that bizarre art exhibit tapestry and statue wall question was in section 5. But it seems a lot of people are saying the experimental section for them was 3. Does the order of the experimental section change from test to test?
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff
     
    Posts: 3186
    Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm
    Points: 3,182

    Yes, it does! Different testers have the Exp section in different spots, even with the same order. That said, section 5 was real for all test takers, so that definitely was not your Experimental section.
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Test Preparation

    Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    ericau02
    LSAT Leader
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:41 pm
    Points: 76

    proudcanasian wrote:
    ericau02 wrote:
    T.B.Justin wrote:Hi Ericau,

    The last two games were challenging for me as well. I had to resort to brute force on a few of the questions.



    Right!!! Okay a little relived to know that it was not just me! Good luck on your scores! keeping my fingers crossed for all LSAT takers.


    I had to take a wild guess on the 2 sections of LG.. It really caught me off guard. Nonetheless, I feel confident with the rest of the exam. I am hoping for a 170 at least. But after that challenging lg fiasco, I don't know anymore..


    Yes although I could tell after the exam which experimental section was in fact the experimental the last 2 questions on the Logic games sections were still a bit more challenging.