LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 dandelionsroar
|
Hi,

Could you tell me how many LOCIs can you send to a school if you are wait listed? I have heard one about every month, a long one and then shorter updates; but I have also heard that you really should not be sending them more than one during your whole wait list period. I know you should always follow the schools rules if explicitly stated but if they are open to updates what is proper?

Also does visiting have an impact on getting off of the WL or is it specific to the school? I know Michigan states that it won't help your changes in their FAQ page.

Thank you
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
dandelionsroar wrote:Hi,

Could you tell me how many LOCIs can you send to a school if you are wait listed? I have heard one about every month, a long one and then shorter updates; but I have also heard that you really should not be sending them more than one during your whole wait list period. I know you should always follow the schools rules if explicitly stated but if they are open to updates what is proper?

Also does visiting have an impact on getting off of the WL or is it specific to the school? I know Michigan states that it won't help your changes in their FAQ page.

Thank you
I am not a fan of the "one per month" advice, regardless of length. It feels like pestering after a while. So, my personal guideline has always been every other month, unless there's been a significant change in some part of you life/school/work. That also would/could be modified if you have a longer or shorter length of time on the WL. As in, if you get on the WL very early, I'd space them out more.

Occasionally a visit can have an impact, but not most of the time. It would be about making a special connection, and that's not easy to do on a visit (if you even get a legit opportunity). So, if you can go easily and inexpensively (and have the desire), do it. But don't go to great lengths on the hope you'll make that connection!

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 lsatstudent2
|
Hi,

When is too late to send your first LOCI after being waitlisted? Is within a week fine?
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatstudent2!

If your question is whether sending a LOCI a week after being waitlisted is too late, I would definitely say that's not too late.

It's not a bad idea to send one shortly after like that. You can also send another at some later point if you haven't heard back. In terms of a LOCI being "too late," that's really only if the school has already filled up all of its available seats. If there are still open spots and you're on the waitlist, then it's not too late.

As Dave notes above, there are steps you can take in the mean time, like visiting a school. If that's easy and inexpensive to do, it at least gives you something to say in the LOCI. Again echoing Dave, it's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to form meaningful connections from a visit, but it does show that you took the initiative and are excited enough in the school to visit. Besides visiting, other things you could potenitally do include looking for new professional opportunities, like legal internships, or even retaking the LSAT. Those options might not always be possible, but they do generate reasons for writing to update the school.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.