LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 amritasandhu
|
Hi there!

While in high school I was able to take college classes and obtain an Associates Degree. While taking these classes my gpa was poor (2.44) but now that I have graduated high school my gpa is doing better(3.8). I know that CAS averages out both GPA’s but do you think I would have my application considered or even be accepted by top tier schools when they see the averages out GPA (3.1)?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
amritasandhu wrote:Hi there!

While in high school I was able to take college classes and obtain an Associates Degree. While taking these classes my gpa was poor (2.44) but now that I have graduated high school my gpa is doing better(3.8). I know that CAS averages out both GPA’s but do you think I would have my application considered or even be accepted by top tier schools when they see the averages out GPA (3.1)?
Hi A,

Well, the bad news here is that your GPA will hurt you. Law schools are obligated to use and report the CAS GPA, and consequently their hands a re a bit tied in this matter. That said, from a purely human standpoint, every law school admissions committee member will understand that your GPA is being pulled down by college work you did in high school, and they will discount the GPA for that reason. How much they discount it here is the real question, and we can't tell that ahead of time. I would write a GPA addendum and explain what happened, as that will at least inform the committee as to the circumstances of your GPA average.

It's an unfortunate policy CAS has, but I don't see them dropping it any time soon. Sorry :(

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.