to the top

Feb 2 LSAT Issue

Frustrated209
LSAT Novice

Hello,

I recently finished the Feb 2. accommodation LSAT today, but had a very large issue.

About 3 minutes into section 5, a light started flashing and an emergency alarm went off. The alarm continued for about 30 seconds until our proctor had to stop the clock and leave the room to see what was going on- he was afraid it was a fire or an active shooter. While my proctor went to check, the other testing rooms started to evacuate. After a bit, the proctor came back in the room and told us to wait for an update. Finally we got the “ok” from the director that everything was fine.

We started the clock again, but were interrupted for a second time. This time a voice came over the speakers to tell us that everything was fine, three times. However the proctor did not stop the clock. By this time all of us were confused and distracted, and it was just not good. I could not focus and did not finish the section, Logic Games.

Once the test was finished, a group of testers got together to share their experiences as well, none were happy. To be distracted by a very odd-putting alarm, twice in Logic Games can make the difference between a 170 and 157. That section could have taken a $200,000 scholarship away from me and other students. Many of us have to send our applications in by Feb.15, the score release safe, but know we lost a chunk of points. The LSAT is a huge time commitment, and not cheap. We do not want to wait until the next test, because we simply can’t, and do not want to pay for another test as this was out of our control.

I am writing to you to see if a situation like this has happened before, and if you know what we should do.
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Frustrated209 wrote:Hello,

I recently finished the Feb 2. accommodation LSAT today, but had a very large issue.

About 3 minutes into section 5, a light started flashing and an emergency alarm went off. The alarm continued for about 30 seconds until our proctor had to stop the clock and leave the room to see what was going on- he was afraid it was a fire or an active shooter. While my proctor went to check, the other testing rooms started to evacuate. After a bit, the proctor came back in the room and told us to wait for an update. Finally we got the “ok” from the director that everything was fine.

We started the clock again, but were interrupted for a second time. This time a voice came over the speakers to tell us that everything was fine, three times. However the proctor did not stop the clock. By this time all of us were confused and distracted, and it was just not good. I could not focus and did not finish the section, Logic Games.

Once the test was finished, a group of testers got together to share their experiences as well, none were happy. To be distracted by a very odd-putting alarm, twice in Logic Games can make the difference between a 170 and 157. That section could have taken a $200,000 scholarship away from me and other students. Many of us have to send our applications in by Feb.15, the score release safe, but know we lost a chunk of points. The LSAT is a huge time commitment, and not cheap. We do not want to wait until the next test, because we simply can’t, and do not want to pay for another test as this was out of our control.

I am writing to you to see if a situation like this has happened before, and if you know what we should do.

Hi Frustrated,

I'm so sorry you ran into this problem :( I know how difficult it can be when you are interrupted during such a crucial exam.

The bad news is that this has happened before. Not just a few times, but hundreds and hundreds of times through the years. It's not always a fire alarm (although that might be the single most frequent issue), but it's been marching bands going by, the power going out, a dance class next door, etc. the even worse news is that LSAC has developed a standard response to disruptions of this sort. this is what will happen:

1.They will open an "investigation" into the issue and put your scores on hold (the hold will typically extend your window of cancellation, fyi).

2. Usually they conclude that the disruption was beyond their control and does not warranted a new, special makeup. In your case, they will without question conclude this. They've made the same judgment many times before for fire alarm issues.

3. They will then offer you a choice: A. Keep your score and have a note put into your file about adverse testing conditions; B. Cancel and you can retake an upcoming LSAT for free.

4. That's it, the above is all they will do.

So, no matter how many people complain or how much you explain the consequences, the result is almost always the same. It takes a severe issue—an evacuation of the area followed by closure of the test site, for example—to get an immediate makeup.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran