LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 coralconsulting77
|
Hey Powerscore staff,

I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I have two academic letters of recommendation uploaded to my LSAC account from 2013, and 2 professional letters of recommendation uploaded as early as last week. I contacted the LSAC today due to a glitch in my account and the person on the phone started asking me if I had any newer letters of recommendation. I am not sure if my professors still work there or if they would be able to write a good letter at this point. I asked the LSAC staff member what value or difference a letter of recommendation written 6 years ago or this year would make regardless of when it was written, the letter pertains to my time in undergrad which has remained unchanged. Her only reasoning was that "usually schools like letters no later than 2-years old". If we are following principle for the sake of following principle, then that seems like a pretty garbage way to assess candidates. Is this the case? The pre-law advisor from my undergraduate university said that it would not matter since I had a recent professional letter of recommendation I could submit to compliment an academic one. Furthermore, my resume has some solid work experience if the question is "work-ethic"...
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
coralconsulting77 wrote:Hey Powerscore staff,

I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I have two academic letters of recommendation uploaded to my LSAC account from 2013, and 2 professional letters of recommendation uploaded as early as last week. I contacted the LSAC today due to a glitch in my account and the person on the phone started asking me if I had any newer letters of recommendation. I am not sure if my professors still work there or if they would be able to write a good letter at this point. I asked the LSAC staff member what value or difference a letter of recommendation written 6 years ago or this year would make regardless of when it was written, the letter pertains to my time in undergrad which has remained unchanged. Her only reasoning was that "usually schools like letters no later than 2-years old". If we are following principle for the sake of following principle, then that seems like a pretty garbage way to assess candidates. Is this the case? The pre-law advisor from my undergraduate university said that it would not matter since I had a recent professional letter of recommendation I could submit to compliment an academic one. Furthermore, my resume has some solid work experience if the question is "work-ethic"...
Hi Coral,

This is a school-specific question, and while I know many that would accept older letters, I've heard of a few instances where schools won't (normally they want you to then go back and get the letter updated (just a new date is fine), which is silly but that's what they say to do).

Note that the fact that you have recent ones too will go a long way to assuaging any worries. Without those, it would be a big issue, probably not so much since you do have them.

Thanks!
 coralconsulting77
|
Awesome, thanks a lot. That makes sense to me. I'll ask around.
 cecilia
|
Apologies if this has been asked before, but for non-traditional students who have been out of undergrad for 15+ years, do schools still prefer letters of reference from academia??? I can still obtain them, but just was wondering if letters from professional colleagues would do just as well.

Thanks in advance.....
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cecilia wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, but for non-traditional students who have been out of undergrad for 15+ years, do schools still prefer letters of reference from academia??? I can still obtain them, but just was wondering if letters from professional colleagues would do just as well.

Thanks in advance.....
Hey Cecilia,

If you had one they would love it, but they also understand the reality of not being in school for 15+ years. So, they will take all non-academic, just make sure you get some from people that know your work and the quality of it!

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.