LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 mp1224
|
Hello,

I realize that there isn't too much of an emphasis on the LSAT Writing Sample, but I have practiced writing a few and am a bit confused by the PrepTest 65 scenario (2 pediatricians deciding whether to relocate their office or open a new office in addition to their current one).

I found that unlike previous writing samples I've written, the facts provided for each choice in this scenario did not help me decide which of the two choices was more appealing. I based my own argument on common sense essentially - keeping their current office would keep current patients and opening another location across town would attract new clients and would therefore be the more attractive choice. I was just wondering if there were any facts from the scenario that would have provided a strong reason to support/oppose a certain choice, or if the facts were secondary and could be used after choosing which choice to argue for.

If you could provide me with some advice, that would be great!

Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi MP,

Thanks for the question!

In some ways, this writing sample is a lot like all the others: there's no right answer, and you can successfully argue for either choice. That said, I also think they've weighted a certain idea here and more or less assumed the readers would pick up on it, which isn't entirely fair.

The key to this choice in my opinion is that we are talking about two pediatricians, not just two general practice doctors. Pediatricians will want a ready supply of children to treat, which makes the second office more attractive in my opinion. However, it's really easy to miss the implications of the needs of pediatricians (especially so when you consider how many people taking this test do not have kids), and so it would have been nice of them to more heavily emphasize the child-based aspect of this medical practice.

If you just read this as "two doctors," then the other option looks a lot better and you could really argue this either way.

By the way, it's not that two pediatrician's wouldn't benefit from being near the city's major hospital, it's just that the other option has a large supply of families to treat, and this is already a "small practice" which sounds more tailor-made for families (as opposed to the perhaps more advanced or research-based needs near the hospital).

So, you can't go "wrong" here regardless of what you select, but I'd bet that whoever wrote this has children, and incorrectly assumed everyone would read "pediatricians" and have that second layer of information at hand about the nature of those practices.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.