LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 ahaide7
|
Hello!!

I am taking the January 26th LSAT and just had a few questions.

I saved logic games for last, and I am steadily getting much better at them and I anticipate that within the next 3 days or so I'll be flying through them based on the progress I've been making.

I score decently well on the reading, not stellar but no more than 3 wrong.

LR is extremely inconsistent for me, and I am currently PT-ing at 155.

Is it possible for me to increase to a 163 by the time the exam comes?

I just ordered the supplamental LR practice book through PowerScore, and I am assuming that my logic games will become much more consistent and smooth.

I guess I am asking, logistically does it seem possible?

Just worried about the time crunch of a few weeks left.

Thanks!!! Would love any tips.
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey Ahaide!

Currently, I am in a similar score range as you! Going from 155 to 163 would be a significant increase in general, let alone in a month! Looking at the chart from PT 73 that is an increase in the raw score from 65 to 79! Thats huge! Anything is possible :)

My opinion is that if you have proven you can test at mid 150's, you will likely be in that range on January's test.

In my instance, the schools I will be applying to, require an explanation for LSAT score increases. I have taken the official test once and will have to address the potential score increase I exhibit on a future test. I would rather have to explain less things than more. I intended to take January's test and will likely be changing my test date to March.

If this is something that can work in your circumstance, the deadline for changing test dates is January 11th.

Sounds like you think that logical reasoning is most important to focus on. Here is a link that helped me isolate and improve on my LR weaknesses, specifically, section 4 part A.

https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/retaki ... your-score
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
ahaide,

As TB pointed out, the difference between a 155 and 163 is typically about 14 more questions correct - I had paper copies of preptests 76, 77, 84, and 85 on my bedroom floor and found a range of 13-15 (thus, an average of 14!) more correct answers would move a score from 155 to 163. As these are all quite recent tests, and a decent sample size, it's reasonable to think that you'll need to increase your raw score by about 14 points to get your PT scores consistently at the 163 mark.

Your RC score seems great! Keep it up.

You're getting better at LG, and that's great, too! Because you anticipate needing 14 more correct answers, consider how many more correct answers you could get in LG. Obviously, the section isn't very large - 23 questions, typically, and I'm sure you're already getting a fair number of those correct. Thus, it's quite unlikely that improved LG performance alone will allow you to close the gap, but certainly better performance here will help. So think about it - are you getting 10 wrong in LG now? Do you think you could move that to 5 wrong? 3 wrong? However better you do on that, it will account for some of those 14 more questions you want to get correct.

You say LR is inconsistent. What does this mean, exactly? There are two things to consider here. First, what's your best performance on LR? If you could consistently get that many incorrect in each of the two LR sections in a given test, how close would you be to 163? Second, because you're not done studying, what if you increased your personal best for LR beyond what you currently have, and made that new personal best your consistent performance? Would that close the gap to 163?

If you find that your current best LR performance would get you to or close to 163 already, and you have room to improve in LG, that should be a cause for optimism! And, although I haven't talked about RC much since your performance there is already excellent, don't neglect it! You do have some room to improve - it's certainly possible to perfect it, and that would help close your gap as well.

In short, it all comes down to where the points are to be picked up. If your inconsistent LR performance is sometimes at a level that would give you a good chance for a 163, then mostly you want to make that performance consistent, and shore up your LG problems. If, instead, your LR performance is never, even on your best PT, where you need it to be, then you want to work more on LR fundamentals to get your base score on those sections up.

Hope this helps!

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.