#17 - Global Reference, AP, MBT, Point at Issue

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below!
Krwill
LSAT Apprentice

Hello,

I am trying to understand why B is correct and where in the passages can I find the support that passage B would disagree with this statement. From my interpretation passage B dealt a lot with blame and its role in society and whether or not it is something that we could actually be rid of and that focusing on why we assign blame. It does not explicitly state an opinion on if free will does exist whether not we should assign blame, unless I missed that part. Is this something that is implied? I selected E for the reasons stated above, passage B does talk about whether or not blame can be eliminated and passage A line 24 "Blameworthiness should be removed..." and interpreted this to mean that the author would agree that it is something that could easily be removed. I was hesitant to pick the answer because of the everyday life but still felt as though it was the strongest of the 5.
Erik Christensen
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

KRwill,

Great question!! This is certainly somewhat tricky!!!

With respect to answer choice (e), I don't see any indication that the author of Passage A thinks that the concept of blame can be easily removed from everyday life. The author of Passage A certainly thinks that with respect to criminal law, that the concept of blame should be removed but there is nothing that suggests that the author of Passage A thinks that process will be easy. Obviously, as you pointed out, the author of Passage B would disagree with the statement in answer choice (e).

With respect to answer choice (b), I do think that the author of Passage B ultimately comes to the conclusion that criminal law should assign blame for actions even if free will doesn't exist. The last sentence of the second paragraph seems to indicate that the author of Passage B thinks that it will be extremely unlikely for blame not to be assigned in criminal actions and although that sentence doesn't explicitly state the author's opinion on what should happen, it states that the concept is deeply rooted in the human psyche and this sentence is somewhat suggestive of the progress of the author's thought process on this topic. The best evidence that the author of Passage B would disagree with the statement in answer choice (b) is in the first two sentences of the last paragraph whether the author indicates that he/she sees some merit in assigning blame in criminal actions (n.b. language like "blaming performs useful social function" and "blameworthiness not a harmless appendage that can be amputated").

Let us know if you have any further questions!!

ERIK