to the top

#10 - When a bird flies, powerful forces converge on its

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below!
LSATwhizkid00
LSAT Novice

I was able to eliminate AC A, C, and D. I chose AC E over B, but it was nothing more than a hunch.

This is how I dissected the conditional reasoning in the argument:

a bird’s wings kept stable during flight :arrow: something balancing these forces :arrow: ligament that connects the wing to the shoulder joint.

So the ligament must be the thing that keeps a bird's wings stable during the flight.

I haven't been able to come up with a reason for why E is a better answer than B.
Ben DiFabbio
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

LSATwhizkid00 wrote:I was able to eliminate AC A, C, and D. I chose AC E over B, but it was nothing more than a hunch.

This is how I dissected the conditional reasoning in the argument:

a bird’s wings kept stable during flight :arrow: something balancing these forces :arrow: ligament that connects the wing to the shoulder joint.

So the ligament must be the thing that keeps a bird's wings stable during the flight.

I haven't been able to come up with a reason for why E is a better answer than B.

Hey Whiz,

The stimulus is basically telling us two things: 1) Birds need to stabilize in their wings in order to fly; and 2) the only thing in the bird body that could stabilize the wings is a certain ligament.

We can conclude that the ligament is the MEANS by which a flying bird stabilizes its wings. That's answer choice E.

However, we cannot conclude anything about the REASON why a bird's wings have to be stabilized in the first place. That would likely have something to do with force and physics and other science-y things that the information presented in the stimulus doesn't cover, and we're therefore not expected to know anything about. So that knocks out answer choice B as out of scope.

Hope that helps!

- Ben