#12 - A study found that most of the strokes diagnosed by

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below!
JurisBlonde
LSAT Novice

Hello,

I am really not understanding this question!!! I originally selected D as my answer. I selected this answer because I thought that if the strokes that occur on the right side of the brain have different symptoms, maybe that's why they are undiagnosed?

While going over my practice test I noticed that the correct answer is B. This does not make any sense! Why would it matter that just as many strokes occur on the right side than on the left side? How would that complete the passage? Thank you :).
Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

JurisBlonde,

When you approach a fill-in-the-blank question, you need to determine what part of the argument needs to be supplied (for example, a premise or a conclusion). In this case, the question stem asks you to strengthen the passage by completing it, so we know that we need to find an additional premise.

The stimulus tells us that diagnosed strokes are mostly left-side strokes, and concludes that right-side strokes are less likely to be diagnosed. The answer will explain why we can reach that conclusion.

(B) says that strokes are about as common on the left side as on the right side. That would explain the conclusion that right-side strokes aren't being diagnosed. Put differently, if strokes are equally common on the left and right side, but the diagnoses are of left-side strokes, that means we're missing diagnosis of the right side strokes.

(D) draws a difference between right side and left side strokes without offering any support for the conclusion that right side strokes are not diagnosed as frequently as they occur. Just because the symptoms are missing doesn't mean that the doctors are failing to diagnose right-side strokes.