#22 - Although severing a motor nerve kills part of the

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Please post your questions below!
Peterh12
LSAT Novice

Hi there,
I had a lot of troubles in understanding the question stem, could you explain it for me and tell me why we should choose D instead of C?
Thanks
James Finch
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Peter H.,

As a Most Strongly Supported question, a good Prephrase is extremely helpful in parsing out the correct answer choice from attractive incorrect ones. Here, I Prephrased that people could repair nerve damage even after 3 months if there was a way to stop the nerve sheath disintegration or implant new living nerve sheath cells. This would fit with the facts, as the nerves keep growing regardless, but need the nerve sheath to guide them to the correct location.

(C) effectively rules out the possibility that the Prephrase explicitly allows, which tells me that it goes against the facts presented in the stimulus. Looking back over the stimulus, we can see that it goes beyond what is there, and that we could imagine scenarios in which, after three months, nerve functions were restored. Thus, (C) fails our Fact Test.

(D) is similar to the Prephrase, which is always a good sign. It accords with the possibilities left open by the facts in the stimulus, by allowing nerve functions to regenerate if the one thing preventing it--nerve sheathe disintegration--were able to be counteracted. So it passes our Fact Test, and is the correct answer choice.

Hope this clears things up!