to the top

November 19th, 2018 Sabbath Observer LSAT Discussion

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

The LSAT that Sabbath-observing test takers are given is different from the regular US/Canada test, so we have created this thread to minimize confusion as everyone gets together to talk about their test content.

This information can then help you better predict your own scoring outcomes, and determine whether to keep or cancel your score (although these days you rarely should cancel since only your highest score matters). For more assistance on making that decision, please visit: The Ultimate LSAT Scoring Guide: Should You Keep or Cancel?

When you post, please follow the posting guidelines (and other considerations) provided below!

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Note: The list below will be updated in real time as we learn more about the exam, and thus is neither official nor complete while the discussion is ongoing. If you are considering cancelling based on the details provided here, give this thread a day or two so that we can make sure all of the information is accurate.

Scored Sections

Real Logic Games (not necessarily in order)

1. Novels or movies on a shelf (?)
      2. Six cousins lining up in order for a picture
      3. Building five supermarkets (ultrastores and regular stores) in two cities with specialties (pharmacy, florist, etc)
      4. Six authors presenting at three libraries (main and neighborhood branches)

Real Reading Comprehension (not necessarily in order)

1. Improving compliance with taxes (deterrence vs compliance with tax law); new idea for tax system
      2. Gold mines in Mali and the California gold rush (comparative; Mali and opposition to mining)
      3. Protest literature/novels and humanistic narrative; progressive naturalistic literature
      4. Ice cores / columns in Greenland and info on climate and volcanoes

Real Logical Reasoning

Aesthetic value of bad art on society
      Yawning reduces temperature
      Majority/minority of adults who watch the news
      Search warrant for computers
      Many adults watch TV regularly for news. Not many watch news channel.
      Humans arrived on earth causing woolly mammoth to go extinct.
      When you yawn you drop your body temperature
      Shopkeeper saying that crime is not a problem in his neighborhood because his shop has not been negatively affected and his customers have not complained

Experimental Sections

Experimental Logic Games

Experimental Reading Comprehension

Galileo and church disagreement (religious or scientific viewpoint)
      Civil vs uncivil disobedience
      Accuracy issues in Venezuelan novel (written in Latin style) about a young woman growing up oppressed (comparative)

Experimental Logical Reasoning

Uncertain

Section orders and question counts

LG-LR-LG-RC-LR
      LR-LG-RC-LR-RC

LG: 23 questions
      LR1: 25 questions
      LR2: 26 questions
      RC: 27 questions
      Total: 101 questions

North American LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?t=26798
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    lsat_student
    LSAT Apprentice

Hi, I took the Saturday Sabbath Observer test this morning, and I have a question. On every test, you can get a different amount wrong and still obtain a certain score, depending on the "difficulty" of the test. I assume this "difficulty" is calculated based on how many people get how many right – as, it is a curve.

I understand that Sabbath *percentiles* are calculated compared to the general population, but are our numerical scores curved only against Sabbath observers? I'm asking because I know that men who sit in yeshiva sharpen their brains in a way that gears them for this test. I suspect that the Sabbath observers test higher on average than the general population, and I worry about competing with them versus the general population when it comes to a curve.

In other words, might I get a lower score simply because I am competing against a possibly sharper group? Like, I would have gotten a 170 if I took the "regular" exam, but might get a 165 because of who I am testing with?

Are my fears founded or unfounded?

Thank you!
    djdj316
    LSAT Novice

It seems to me that contrary to popular opinion, the LSAT is not in fact scored on a normal curve. By that I mean that the score you receive on a test is not determined by how you do in comparison to other people who have taken that same test. The LSAC utilizes a method called test equating in order to ensure that both the particular pool of people that took that test and the slight differences in difficulty between any number of given tests do not actually impact the final score on the 120-180 scale. In other words, the whole point of this method is to equate any score (say for example, a 170) on any given test (a 170 on one test is viewed as the same as it is on any other test). See the following links for more about this:

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/scale.cfm
    lsat_student
    LSAT Apprentice

Thank you so much, I feel much better.

It's going to be a loooong three weeks waiting for the results!
    Lsat baby
    LSAT Apprentice

Hey all. Are there any curve predictions for the Saturday observer lsat? I’ve been looking everywhere but the only thing I can find are the November 17 predictions, and from looking at their content it was a completely different test
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Lsat baby wrote:Hey all. Are there any curve predictions for the Saturday observer lsat? I’ve been looking everywhere but the only thing I can find are the November 17 predictions, and from looking at their content it was a completely different test

There's not an official prediction because the data sample is too small. We can't collect the same kind of info about the Sabbath test as we do with the regular Saturday tests. That said, if I had to guess, it might be -12 due to some of the difficulty factors that were apparently present. Regrettably, we'll never know since this is a nondisclosed administration :/
    Dave Killoran

Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    BTL+fisch
    LSAT Novice

Dave Killoran wrote:
    Lsat baby wrote:Hey all. Are there any curve predictions for the Saturday observer lsat? I’ve been looking everywhere but the only thing I can find are the November 17 predictions, and from looking at their content it was a completely different test

There's not an official prediction because the data sample is too small. We can't collect the same kind of info about the Sabbath test as we do with the regular Saturday tests. That said, if I had to guess, it might be -12 due to some of the difficulty factors that were apparently present. Regrettably, we'll never know since this is a nondisclosed administration :/

Can you be more specific on what these "difficult factors that were present" were?
    Lsat baby
    LSAT Apprentice

Dave Killoran wrote: There's not an official prediction because the data sample is too small. We can't collect the same kind of info about the Sabbath test as we do with the regular Saturday tests. That said, if I had to guess, it might be -12 due to some of the difficulty factors that were apparently present. Regrettably, we'll never know since this is a nondisclosed administration :/

Oh okay i see! Thank you for the reply! One more question: are all Saturday observer exams nondisclosed?
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Lsat baby wrote:
    Dave Killoran wrote: There's not an official prediction because the data sample is too small. We can't collect the same kind of info about the Sabbath test as we do with the regular Saturday tests. That said, if I had to guess, it might be -12 due to some of the difficulty factors that were apparently present. Regrettably, we'll never know since this is a nondisclosed administration :/

Oh okay i see! Thank you for the reply! One more question: are all Saturday observer exams nondisclosed?

Correct!
    Dave Killoran

Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
    PowerScore PodCast: http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/podcast/
    lsat_student
    LSAT Apprentice

Only two more weeks! The waiting is so hard....