to the top

p 526 Techniques

nmaugust
LSAT Apprentice

Underneath Step 4 ("Look for next level...)
It is stated that "while Thursday itself has no restriction, Friday must feature a jazz group,which isolates thursday to some extent" Also if there is a way to force A in front of Friday, that would result in A playing Thursday.

I am quite confused as to why the inference that forcing A infront of Friday is one that stands out or could be identified at all. After all, there can be other placements, but how do we know to identify that placing A in front of Thursday is a goal we should pursue? Given that A ~could~ go on Thursday, Friday or Saturday (though I understand the lack of "forcing in the last two options), how would one identify that A is the important variable, and that it need be placed on Thursday from the get go?
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

nmaugust wrote:Underneath Step 4 ("Look for next level...)
It is stated that "while Thursday itself has no restriction, Friday must feature a jazz group,which isolates thursday to some extent" Also if there is a way to force A in front of Friday, that would result in A playing Thursday.

I am quite confused as to why the inference that forcing A infront of Friday is one that stands out or could be identified at all. After all, there can be other placements, but how do we know to identify that placing A in front of Thursday is a goal we should pursue? Given that A ~could~ go on Thursday, Friday or Saturday (though I understand the lack of "forcing in the last two options), how would one identify that A is the important variable, and that it need be placed on Thursday from the get go?

Hi nmaugust,

Thanks for the question! This idea actually plays on something LSAC does with the test, especially with what I referred to as an isolated spot and blocks. On the most basic level, though, you are taking points of restriction and forcing the appropriate variables to avoid those restrictions, which is really the gist of how a lot of these questions work.

Specifically, it's because they first ask directly about Thursday, so we have to figure out how to fill that day. That pushes the emphasis in that direction. Next, and this is key, which two groups are most restricted in this example? D and A. So connecting them seems promising. And between those two, D has issues towards the end of the week and A has issues towards the start of the week. With restrictions like that, a relationship that pushes D backwards and A forwards is likely to yield some problems that might (and do) result in a solution.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran