LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 mo_wan
|
Hi,

About two weeks left until test date, and I know that LG is the easiest section to have improvements on in short time. Here's where I am

In terms of LG my score has been the same fluctuating from 13-17 with three games completed. I've noticed that I have some trouble/ takes a while to making inferences up front, and juggling possibilities in my head (as it if I put a variable here what would happen). Any tips on how I should practice or improve to make it more consistently 17?

What is the best way to review a game? How many times should I redo it?

What ive been doing so far is if I find a game gives me trouble or I made a mistake, I'll redo the game untimed, try and see where I missed inferences and then watch the video explanation. Then repeat the game right after the explanation. then I put it away for about 10 days then repeat the game and if I can get all right under the time allotted then I'm done with it, otherwise I'll repeat that process above. Please let me know if I have been doing something wrong!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I plan to do for the next two weeks for LG:

Spend 4 days only on LG ; where I will repeat all the games I have done. Maybe do 4-5 games I have done, and then do 2-3 new games that day. And try and fit in 2-3 Timed sections, Let me know if I should be doing something different!!

Cheers
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mo,

It sounds like you've been working really hard at the games. In the last 2 weeks, you won't have the opportunity to put a game down for 10 days, so you'll need to adjust your process a bit.

Here's what I would suggest:

When working on a new concept, do the games for that concept untimed at first. You want to give yourself a chance to independently apply the concepts before you try to do a game timed. In the timed environment, you are more likely to rush, and practice bad habits. Timed games always has to come after you understand the process really well. Reviewing the games after you do them is great, and a good way to think about what you missed. Think about both what you missed and why. Why didn't you see the inference up front?

The other way to potentially increase your game score is to think big picture strategy. Right now you are ranging from 13-17. Think about if you could get a higher score in the section by spending more time on fewer games. If your accuracy would increase, it can be worth practicing games aiming to do just 3 instead of all 4. You'll want to guess on any questions you don't get to. You also should attempt to skip the most difficult game in the section. You don't want to go through the section ordering the games. Instead, after you read the rules/scenario, make an immediate pass/play decision. Is this game going to be difficult or time-consuming for you? Leave it for last.

Hope this helps!
Rachael
 mo_wan
|
Hi Rachel,

I have been attempting three games only, I try not to do the fourth or whichever I find the hardest. I am a little unclear on the advice, are you saying I shouldnt redo the games I have previously done, nor do any time sections ? Just focus on doing new games without any timed conditions?

What I was planning was : Spend 4-5 full days on games. Each day I will redo about 4-5 games, and attempt 2-3 new games. I will lap how long it takes me to complete the game, and if It above the time I see online, then I will redo the game untimed, watch the explanation video and then redo the game again. I will also try to do 2-3 timed sections. Are you suggesting to avoid the timed sections for now? And not time how long it takes me to complete the game? Rather just redo the games I have done, and do a few new games per day completely with time in mind?

Cheers,
Let me know!
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mo,
Though I don't want to put words in Rachel's mouth, what it sounds like she is saying (and this is the same advice that I would give to you) is that instead of focusing on perfecting games that you have already done, you need to focus on improving new games. The games on the test will likely have similarities to games that you have already done, but they will still be brand new. You need to improve your ability to efficiently and effectively approach new games the first time around.
Additionally, I don't think that Rachel was suggesting that you completely forgo timed games. Instead she was suggesting that if you doing a game with a new concept such as a Mapping Game (for example) you should do that un-timed the first time you attempt one so that you can focus on the intricacies of that particular type of game, rather than focusing on how long it is taking you to do it. But once you feel like you have a grasp on how to do that type of game you would certainly want to try (at least) one timed to ensure that you can do it in the allotted time.
I can't really give you advice on whether you should spend 4-5 full days on games without knowing how you are doing in the other sections. It may be the case that many people can quickly raise their score in the games section, but it might also be the case that your score could be raised more rapidly through another section. Since you only have a little over a week before your test it sounds like you might benefit from discussing this in more depth with a tutor who can look over your approach and make specific suggestions that would be particularly tailored to you.
Hope that helps!
-Malila

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.