LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 southwestsunset45
|
I'm trying to decide whether I should apply early decision to Texas Law. If admitted, I would receive in state tuition and a small stipend. I'm a URM with a 3.5 GPA from a top 3 Liberal Arts College, and a masters degree from a well regarded program in my field, and a government job I think is cool :ras: I will have good letters of rec and a well written personal statement. I have deep roots in Texas and plan to settle there. I've taken the LSAT several times with improvement each time and my last and highest score was 163. I was disappointed with this as I had been studying with a tutor and my previous 5 practice tests had been at 167/168. I am signed up for the November test and am confident I can squeak out a few more points, ideally a 166. So--my question is, should I apply to several schools after the November test and see what happens or apply ED to UT and cross my fingers?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi southwestsunset,

Early decision is a really personal choice, and will come down to an individual balance. Though I'm sure you have thought about a lot of this already, here are some things you'd want to consider.

1) You need to balance the difference between the score you have now and score you think you can achieve. Applying ED to Texas may give you a bump for applying early decision, but you'll also see a bump if you go from 163 to 166. The difference is that the ED bump would only apply for Texas, but the score bump would apply at all the schools.

2) The score increase isn't a given. You might have a less than ideal test situation in November, so counting on an increase is at least somewhat of a risk.

3) The usual downsides to ED apply. You lose negotiation power, but it sounds like you have a scholarship already lined up for UT if you get in. You are bound to go there if you get in, but you sound like you are comfortable with the school and the area.

No matter what you decide, I wish you the best of luck!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.