LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 jessicalauren24
|
Hello! I am planning on taking the November LSAT. My goal is to get at least a 160 on the exam.

My practice test scores currently are: 156, 157, 159, 158.

I have been studying since November, and my RC and LG scores have masssiveeellyyy gone up since then. So I'm pretty confident there -- the only thing I would love advice on (which I feel like is pretty hard to provide) but always worth asking -- is ways to relax while you're in the middle of a section so as to not skip over important language and make silly mistakes, because that's something I'm very susceptible to and find myself falling into while I take these prep tests.

In terms of LR, it is the section I am most worried about since it accounts for the biggest part of the score, and I haven't seen the increase that I need in order to achieve my score. I am consistently missing around 5 or 6 questions per section -- sometimes more if nerves factor in that day. The question type I am missing the most is strengthen/weaken which is odd considering that from what I have researched those are considered "Level 1" questions. Is there any advice you have on how to tackle these questions specifically, and why I might be missing those in particular?

Thank you for your help and insights!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jessica,

For relaxation and avoiding mistakes--

Take the time to sum up RC passages and make and check rules and inferences for LG. Take the time to pre-phrase RC answers, and sketch next to LG questions. You can save your bubbling for the completion of a LG or a RC passage. Those things keep you in rhythm, keep you from getting ahead of yourself, and help divide up the test.

For LR, you are mainly missing Strengthen/Weaken questions. My advice is basically the same. Make sure you are identifying conclusions and allowing yourself a moment to react to the stimulus. When you do a S/W question, your goal is to attack the conclusion (weaken) or to support the conclusion (strengthen). I might have a different opinion with more information, but for now, what I can say is that people missing S/W questions usually aren't staying on those targets. That seems consistent with maybe getting ahead of yourself a little.

It's okay to sac a few questions to guessing to make sure you feel well-paced. And, I'm sure you've had the experience already that slowing down at the right times can speed you up overall.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.