to the top

Another Cause and Effect Problem!

Dianapoo
LSAT Leader

Sorry, an unrelated question to my previous post! If one says "x can cause y", that can be translated to "x possibly causes y". Can and possibly are synonyms here, and I would think it's quite an open causal relationship, in that the author could be leaving it open to (1) x might not cause y, (2) x might cause y sometimes, (3) x doesn't have to cause y but it could, (4) y can occur without x having caused it. Is this an accurate assessment of "can/possibly" in terms of cause and effect?

Also, would I be right to say that probably is essentially the same as "can/possibly" but with a little more force? Functionally speaking though, the distinctions in a question will likely be minimal?
Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Dianapoo,
In terms of likelihood there is a sort of ladder of certainty. So the bottom of the ladder would be-

Possibility: It is possible that something could happen. As in, the thing exists, so yes, it could happen, but who really knows. (So yes, you could say 'X can cause Y' is a possibility, and it would be such a loose causal relationship that it would likely be correlational rather than causal.)

The next step up would be-

Probability: It is probable that something could happen. As in, the thing exists and it is likely that the thing will happen. It is no longer a mere possibility, it is more likely that it will occur.

The top step would be-

Necessity/Certainty: It is necessary for that something will happen. Chance has been taken out of the equation, and the thing needs to happen.

To make it look more like a ladder:

[Necessity/Certainty]

[ Probability ]

[ Possibility ]

Ok my graphic art is terrible, but hopefully you get the logical picture.
Hope that helps!
-Malila