LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

moshei24
|
Hi, for this question, is the answer (E), because the some aquatic animals refers to the Acanthostega, and common to that animal is the characteristics mentioned in the passage that would be beneficial on land?

Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Moshe,

You got it!
 moshei24
|
Thanks!
 sofiaherrera1
|
I'm confused as to why (A) is the wrong answer. According to Kaplan explanations, it was not an illegal act which does not qualify as civil disobedience. However, the question explicitly states, "because in organizing an illegal but peaceful demonstration ..."
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sofiaherrera1,

Your question actually refers to #23.

Here is the text of (A), an incorrect answer:

(A) Keisha’s protest against what she perceived to be a brutal and repressive dictatorship in another country was an act of justified civil disobedience, because in organizing an illegal but peaceful demonstration calling for a return to democratic leadership in that country, she acted purely out of concern for the people of that country.

Acting "purely out of concern for that country" is not sufficient to justify an act of civil disobedience. According to the stimulus principle,

Only acting out of self-interest :arrow: not justified

The contrapositive follows:

Justified :arrow: acting out of more than self-interest.

"Pure concern for others :arrow: justified" would be a mistaken negation of the original premise.

I hope this helps!
 Leela
|
This is a must be true question, right? I see why E is correct, but could someone please walk through why the other answer choices are incorrect?
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
(A) Stimulus provides information about vertebrates, not all land animals.
(B) Stimulus doesn't provide information about aquatic animals sufficient to make judgments like "all" or "none."
(C) This directly contradicts the stimulus.
(D) Stimulus doesn't provide information that would let us draw conclusions about "all" characteristics.
 cacao825
|
Hello. I had trouble with this question because of the phrasing "advantage for survival on land". Where in the passage could we refer to this phrasing? The passage does talk about "useful for land movement" so are we to infer this as an advantage for survival on land? I thought it was too much of a stretch. I eventually picked the correct answer because the other four answers I was able to eliminate. But I still felt iffy about the answer. I'm sure I'm missing a point here ...
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, the short answer is that is the inference that they're looking for you to make there. Specifically, the idea here is that what was once thought to be only a feature of land animals has now been found in aquatic animals, the Acanthostega. And so conclusion, or the must be true is to combine what was said in the stimulus. This feature is good for land animals and now we know it probably originated in water animals (supporting the fish climbing onto land evolution theory).

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.