to the top

September 8th, 2018 LSAT Information and Discussion

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

As Saturday's LSAT concludes, test takers naturally wonder what to make of their experience, and are eager to hear more about the experiences of others. To aid in that, this thread allows you to provide information and feedback about the September LSAT, and will serve as a one-stop repository for all of the details that PowerScore is able to collect on the test.

Below, let us know more about your test, including questions and topics that you remember, section order, and overall impressions (difficulty, uniqueness/familiarity, odd elements, etc). With that information we will begin outlining which LG/RC/LR questions were real and which were known to be experimental (for more information on determining the Experimental section, please read: The Experimental Section Explained).

This data can then help you better predict your own scoring outcomes, and determine whether to keep or cancel your score (although these days you rarely should cancel since only your highest score matters). For more assistance on making that decision, please visit: The Ultimate LSAT Scoring Guide: Should You Keep or Cancel?

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Note: The list below will be updated in real time as we learn more about the exam, and thus is neither official nor complete while the discussion is ongoing. If you are considering cancelling based on the details provided here, give this thread a day or two so that we can make sure all of the information is accurate.

Scored Sections

Real Logic Games (not necessarily in order)

1. Weekly Electronics Sales
      2. Editing textbooks (linguistics, Russian, zoology, macroeconomics)
      3. Assigning people for staffing 3 booths/stands (Organization, Retail, or Visitor)
      4. Artist and musician pairings

Real Reading Comprehension (in what should be the correct order)

1. Supreme court housing decision / Shelley v Kraemer / 14th amendment
      2. Botai people and domesticating horses 6,000 years ago
      3. Opera (comparative)
      4. Plate tectonics / Subduction

This is the same section that appeared as the real RC on the December 2017 Sabbath observer test.

Real Logical Reasoning

Doctors, drugs and psychiatrists (if they need to be medical doctors with years of training)
      Honeybee v bumblebee and pollinating cranberries
      Percentage of cat and dog households with university grads
      Monroe won by a landslide
      Park cafe shutting down
      Dumping waste into river
      Nature reserve
      Birds hanging outside the reserve
      Researchers studying dolphins and electric waves/pulses
      Housing development with old buildings and new apartments
      Fairy rings / termites
      Dinosaurs and birds (archaeologists found a composite fossil)
      Fish hatcheries
      Effect of raising minimum wage on overall economy of a specific country
      Kindness and disliking
      Monkeys and humans being able to tell things from pictures
      Bird lovers and bird feeders
      Social media use and moods
      Bank loans with interest rates
      Spike in sulfur dioxide (or some such chemical) in the atmosphere of Venus
      Solar winds on Jupiter
      Ecosystem and pollution on Mars
      Lower back pain
      Ancient cart/hand tracks on Malta
      Electric transmission power line with wind and temperature
      Plato
      Cashier giving back an extra dollar to the customer
      3 month study of aerobics and weight lifting
      Sugar vs aspartame and developing a taste for sweets
      Advertising campaigns for single vs. multiple demographic groups
      Triglycerides and heart disease
      Self conscious people and disrespect
      Positive disease/virus testing results
      Servicing computers from ProCor
      Maximum/minimum 50x CEO wage
      Salmon/trout eating shrimp

Experimental Sections

Experimental Logic Games

Public Utilities
      Children's video game with three levels
      People to work shifts
      Vet visits of certain animals
      Placing stores, restaurants, and offices in a building
      Employees reporting to finance committee and oversight (operations?) committee

Experimental Reading Comprehension

Neil DeGrasse Tyson essay (Big Bang Theory?)
      The UN
      Discussion/Criticism of a Kafka’s work (CR)
      Evasion of Laws / C.S. Pierce

1700 Cascadia earthquake on pacific coast / tsunami / disappearing cedar trees
      Is ASL a language? / symbols / icons
      Experiments involving game where people give away money (CR)
      If individuals have a "right"

Experimental Logical Reasoning

Real vs fake blood
      Post-WWII air-conditioned houses
      Computer passwords/fingerprints as computer passwords
      Striatum in the brain and neurons
      Chinese beer
      Licensed house inspectors
      Propaganda decreasing trust in reliable news
      Political ads' ability to influence voters
      Freud
      Old map with special ink that isn’t as old as the parchment
      Cackling Geese and their habitat preferences
      Women's suffrage
      Face muscle linguistics
      Heckling in comedy

Uncertain

LR: Office chairs
    LR: Patent/innovation
    LR: Insurance advertising

Section orders and question counts

RC-LR-LG-LG-LR
      RC-LR-RC-LG-LR
      LR-RC-LR-LR-LG
      LR-LR-RC-LG-LR

LG: 23 questions
      LR1: 26 questions
      LR2: 25 questions
      RC: 27 questions
      Total: 101 questions

Jon Denning
    PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    SamSachsDE
    LSAT Apprentice

Hello All!

I had the LR-RC-LR-LR-LG combination. I believe my experimental was number 3 based on the info above.

Did anyone use templates for the games? I didn't see any opportunities jump out at me while taking the test.

I'm not sure if the missing game is the one that involved placing 6 people into 3 types of jobs(V, R, ?). I might be confusing it for the editing the book game.
    Last edited by SamSachsDE on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Raquelr
    LSAT Novice

So my section order was LR/RC/LR/LR/LG. The first two LR sections had 26 questions. All I remember from the LR sections was a point at issue question about whether it’s fair to have patients look online for medical resources on their conditions as well as seeing their doctor. I unfortunately can’t remember what section that question was in. There was another LR question about winds on jupiter. Overall, I don’t think the exam had any surprises and I feel way better coming out of this exam than the July one (which I took)
    Last edited by Raquelr on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    deck1134
    LSAT Master

Hi guys,

Just took it.

Mine was: RC (ex, thought it was REALLY hard), LR, RC (eh), LG, LR
    Here's what I remember

Questions per section: 27, 26, 27, 23, 25
    Real RC:
    Botai (?) people and domesticating horses (easy)
    Supreme court housing decision / Shelley v Kraemer / 14th amendment (hard)
    Opera (easy)
    Plate tectonics / Subduction (easy)

LG:
    I butchered the Artist and musician pairings. Wasn't sure what the heck was going on there.

As far as LR goes:

There was an absoulely weird question about the solar winds on venus and how they were effected by volcanic eruptions. I had absolutley no idea here. I've been perfect scoring LR and that was just nasty. I think it was like #15.
    Also a weird question about Fairy Rings in the soil.
    deck1134
    LSAT Master

And my proctor was kind enough to unwrap, microwave, and eat a frozen lasagna during the exam. Yum!
    Last edited by deck1134 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    msc1993
    LSAT Novice

Mine was LR, RC, LR, LR, LG.

I feel as though I did horrible on RC. The horse one was okay, I didn't even do the poetry one, the earthquake section was confusing to me. I don't even remember what the other one was (I mean I do, I just couldn't tell you the content). I most likely tanked the RC section.

LG was not that bad. Like two linear and two grouping. The third game came off as the toughest.

I had a tough time with a Venus question and another Jupiter question. Winds and crap on Jupiter. I was like, I have no idea. I was lost on the Jupiter and Venus question. I remember the dolphin question, I didn't think that one to be tough.

All in all, I don't think I did my best and very may well need to retake it. I think I may have choked a bit on this exam.
    nickdrake
    LSAT Novice

There was a formal logic question in the 26 question section. Was this real? Do we have a curve prediction?
    LosCafeteros
    LSAT Novice

So if I had RC-LR-LG-LG-LR, then the LG section 3 was experimental and LG section 4 was real?
    Adam4551
    LSAT Apprentice

I dont know how to feel about this exam. It wasnt hard but I defintely would not say it was simple. A few questions here and there would throw off my momentum in LR but overall it was good for me (fingers crossed). RC has been my weakest section all throughout my preparation but i feel like I had a grasp on this one. However where i messed up was timing myself, Ive never once ran out of time on my practice exams, id even have time to look over my questions at the end. Yet today on RC i was still in the PASSAGE when 5 minutes were remaining. Normally when theres 5 minutes remaining im already at the LAST 2 questions. I severely overestimated how much time I had on RC and got too caught up in certain questions. Lastly, LG was very easy for me. Not much problem for me there. Its that RC that will make or break my score and im terrified.

3 weeks cant come soon enough
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Raquelr wrote:So my section order was LR/RC/LR/LR/LG. The first two LR sections had 26 questions. All I remember from the LR sections was a point at issue question about whether it’s fair to have patients look online for medical resources on their conditions as well as seeing their doctor. I unfortunately can’t remember what section that question was in. There was another LR question about winds on jupiter. Overall, I don’t think the exam had any surprises and I feel way better coming out of this exam than the July one (which I took)

Based on what Deck said, the winds LR question was real.

Glad that overall it went better!!
    Dave Killoran
    PowerScore Test Preparation
    Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran