LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 mcurci
|
Hi,

I just have a general questions in regards to where I should start with my answer choices. Generally, is it better to create hypotheticals for answer choices that are more restricted or less restricted?

For example, in a question on a sequencing game for MUST BE TRUE, is it better to start with answer choices that involve more restricted variables, or less restricted variables (floaters)?

I realize that I don't usually know where to start, and with my luck, I usually end up getting the right answer on the last choice that I create a hypothetical for.

I was looking at Game #1 on PrepTest 56 (Dec 2008) on the Six Auditions questions. Question four asks for the answer whose placement would determine all of the auditions. My question is would it be better to start with choices that involve more restricted variables, or less. I eventually got the question right, but not before I wasted a ton of a time creating 5 separate hypotheticals.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Maryana
 Sky Brooks
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Maryana,

The fourth question on Game #1 of PrepTest 56 (Dec 2008) is asking us to determine which statement, if true, would completely determine the order in which the saxophonists are scheduled to audition. When you create hypotheticals to determine whether an answer is correct, start with answer choices that use variables that are more highly restricted. Often, these rules attached to a variable will set the necessary domino-effect into motion that results in the order being fully determined.

In this problem, there are many rules associated with J. When I see an answer choice using J, it's relatively easy for me to quickly determine whether it is correct or not, because I can quickly apply the rules associated with J.

This is a generalization, but typically it is best to start making hypotheticals using the more restricted variables. Floaters have less restrictions and thus their placement determines less in relation to the other variables.

Hope that this helps!

-Sky Brooks

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.