to the top

#15 - Technological innovations rarely serves the interest

mp1224
LSAT Apprentice

Hello,

I am having difficulty understanding the answer choices for this LR question, specifically B) and D), which is likely why I cannot tell why answer D) is the correct choice.

Could someone please break down these two answer choices for me?

I am only a third of the way through the LRB, so if this question appears in the bible, please let me know!

Thank you!
Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi mp1224,
In this question the argument is putting forth 2 statements that are not conditionally linked, but the argument assumes that they are.

One statement is: If some things are technological innovations Then most will be motivated by personal gain rather than societal benefit.

The argument then assumes that: If some things are technological innovations Then they rarely serve society as a whole.

So the flaw is Answer D: "takes for granted that an action is unlikely to produce a certain outcome (societal benefit) unless it is motivated by a desire to produce that outcome (societal benefit)." Here the motivation is usually a personal benefit so the author is assuming that will not result in an additional societal benefit.

Answer B states: "takes for granted that technology beneficial to society as a whole cannot be commercially viable" But this is beyond the scope of the argument which only talks about commercially viable innovations that were created based upon a desire for personal gain. The author might agree that other commercially viable creations might be beneficial to society if they were not created from a desire for personal gain.

Hope that helps!
-Malila
Tomars
LSAT Apprentice

Is the only problem with B that it focuses on the wrong aspect of technology. The stimulus argues that technology rarely benefits society as a whole because they are usually created to be commercially viable/for personal gain."

So a potential answer would have to weaken the causal argument... by showing that tech created for commercial viability could still benefit society as a whole.

So if B was reversed to say "takes for granted that technology developed to be commercially viable cannot be beneficial to society as a whole", would this then be correct?
Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Hi Tomars,
This is a Flaw question, not a Weaken question so that may be throwing you off. You can bring in outside info for a Weaken question, but for a Flaw question you have to explain the problem that already exists in the argument. That is why D is the correct answer in this case.
Hope that helps!
-Malila