to the top

#20 - A person with a type B lipid profile is at much

Tmills4
LSAT Novice

Hello,

Reading this MBT question, I can understand why A-D are incorrect. I am having trouble understanding why answer choice E is correct. From the stimulus, we know that the "type B volunteers cholesterol levels dropped substantially" and we know the "type A volunteers showed no benefit", which I would interpret to mean their cholesterol levels did not decrease; they could have remained the same or increased but it isn't inherently clear... is it? We know "40% of A profiles switched to B, but I am looking at the fact test methodology and I need help with my discernment. Thanks!

~T
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Tmills4 wrote:Hello,

Reading this MBT question, I can understand why A-D are incorrect. I am having trouble understanding why answer choice E is correct. From the stimulus, we know that the "type B volunteers cholesterol levels dropped substantially" and we know the "type A volunteers showed no benefit", which I would interpret to mean their cholesterol levels did not decrease; they could have remained the same or increased but it isn't inherently clear... is it? We know "40% of A profiles switched to B, but I am looking at the fact test methodology and I need help with my discernment. Thanks!

~T

Hi T,

Thanks for the question! In this problem, answer choice (E) is supported by the combination of different statements in the stimulus. First, we know that, "A person with a type B lipid profile is at much greater risk of heart disease than a person with a type A lipid profile." So, if you have a Type B profile, you have a much great risk. Second, we know that in the experiment, "The type A volunteers, however, showed no benefit from the diet, and 40 percent of them actually shifted to type B profiles." So, when they did this experiment, 40% of the Type A profiles actually switched to Type B. Well, according to our prior sentence, this means they then had a much greater risk of heart disease. That's exactly what answer choice (E) is talking about—the people in the study who switched over now have an increased heart attack risk.

Note how that for (E), the cholesterol is irrelevant; it doesn't tell us anything. But, it's an eye-catching idea within the stimulus because we know in the real world there's a lot of talk about cholesterol and heart disease. But we can't draw any conclusion here from the cholesterol because they gave us no useful information besides how it changed (or didn't). You can't then go and make a judgment about it from just that info.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran
Tmills4
LSAT Novice

Awesome,

This helped a ton!