to the top

#13- Consumers seek to purchase highest quality

akanshalsat
LSAT Master

Hey!

I got this question right without diagramming, bc for some reason it just made sense and linked up in my head correctly that if those companies who dont offer products which attract customers go bankrupt, and the companies that dont offer best quality nor lowest prices go bankrupt, then it must be that companies that don't offer best quality nor lowest prices don't attract the customers.

I'm a little stressed however because looking at C now, I can see how on a real exam and under major time constraints I can get confused and choose that.

After diagramming I can see how C would be a mistaken negation, but just in case I don't have time to diagram, is there anything I could have thought of in my head alone to stop me from choosing C over B when linking them in my head?
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

After diagramming I can see how C would be a mistaken negation, but just in case I don't have time to diagram...

Why wouldn't you have time to diagram, akanshalsat? If I were to put on my "tough love" hat, I would say that it sounds like you are saying "I don't have time to get the right answer because I am too busy getting wrong ones". I'm not picking on you - I say that to everyone who ever says something about not having time to do things the right way, to prephrase, to sort losers and contenders, and to confidently and accurately pick the best answer. If you don't have time to do a diagram of a complex conditional stimulus (and it's not one that you can easily diagram in your head), that means that you are doing the last question that you are going to do for the section you are working on and you have less than 30 seconds remaining. If you have more time than that, then you have time to do a diagram and ensure a right answer! Otherwise, that means you are rushing, trying to cram in a few answers without being careful and accurate. What's the point of that? Work at your most accurate pace and no faster, ever, and while you may end up answering fewer questions that way, you will end up with more correct answers.

Now, all that said, there is something you can do here and on many, many LR questions that will save you time and make diagramming a little less necessary sometimes. That's to take note of anything new that shows up in the conclusion. In this case, the new element is not offering best quality of lowest price. Now, connect that to something that was in the premises but not in the conclusion - in this case, that would be attracting consumers. Notice that going bankrupt is common to the premise and the conclusion, so that's not going to be an essential element of the correct answer.

Now that you can see the two "rogue" elements, connect them! Find an answer that links attracting consumers to offering best quality or lowest prices. Only answer B does that, so pick it and move along! What's wrong with answer C? It talks about bankruptcy, which we didn't need (because it was common to both the premise and the conclusion), and it left out attracting consumers (which we needed).

When a diagram is called for and would help you, do it! Take the time to do things the right way so that you can confidently and accurately select the right answer. Never rush!
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam