LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

VamosRafa19
|
I think this is my favorite game explanation so far.
 jailenea
|
Can we please get the full/explained setup + explanations to the questions? Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jailenea, happy to start that conversation! First, the diagram that Jon posted IS the complete setup of this "Pure Sequencing" game. That label means that every rule in the game is just about what is before or after what. It's all about relative relationships. For example, the first rule just means that S is somewhere before O, but that could mean they are right next to each other, or it could mean that S is first and O is last, or anything in between. It's like saying I am older than my cousin - that covers a side range of age differences.

As you go through the rules and draw out these relative relationships, using dashes to represent that order (think of each dash as meaning "before," so in Jon's diagram you can say "S is before O, which is before , V, and Z," etc.), you can start to make inferences by connecting the rules. One inference here is that S is somewhere before L, since S is before O, which is before Z, which is before L. Another inference is that M cannot be first, since it must be after T (but M could be as early as second, since the only rule about it is that it must be after T. Maybe T is first and M is second?)

By connecting all of those relative rules, you create the main diagram that we have in this thread. Everything else follows from that diagram, and a lot of the work will be done by counting how many variables must be before or after something. O, for example, must have at least 4 things after it (R, V, Z, and L), so it cannot go any later than 4th out of 8. It also has to have S before it, so the earliest it can be is 2nd. That means O will always be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, but it's flexible within that range because we cannot be sure where T and M go in relation to O.

If you have specific questions about the individual questions, please post them in the appropriate thread and we'll help you through them there! Meanwhile, I hope this explanation helps you see how we got from the rules to the diagram we provided, and allows you to get there for yourself in this and similar games.

Good luck!
 Kenyambo
|
Is this diagram the sole way of diagramming this Logic Game? In my initial setup, I believe I went more towards a linear setup (AKA 8 linear spaces). Would anyone be able to diagram this game a long these parameters ? Or is the diagram above the only way to diagram this problem?
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Kenyambo,

You could add a linear receiver base to the right or left here because we know the flowers are delivered one after another. However, it doesn't really add information to the game, because we don't have rules or significant inferences about who could go in which linear slot. You don't have block relationships. The sequencing chain would need to be present to represent the rules even if you drew out the 8 slots, so it's not really adding anything to add the linear diagram. Learning to read a sequence is a valuable skill both in pure sequencing games like this one and in linear games with sequencing components.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.