LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT Logic Games.
 LSAT2018
|
I think I generally struggle with games that require Hurdle the Uncertainty. Are there any indicators that tell you to 'Hurdle the Uncertainty' (i.e. when there are not so many inferences that can be made in the game)?

Also, are there any games in particular where I could practice the Hurdle the Uncertainty concept?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT,

Thanks for the question! The thing about this concept is that it appears very frequently on the LSAT. So much so that it's a concept you have to become comfortable with, and one that isn't tipped off by a certain setup or game type. The general idea is one where a set of variables (often 2 or 3) is taking up space in some manner without actually being assigned. That's the basic condition for the principle to be in play, and that happens a lot.

It's also a concept that often really comes up in the endgame of doing individual questions, but you can also see it come on the radar during the scenario when you get rules such as:

• A and B must be in different groups.
    Exactly two of D, E, and F are selected.
    G and H cannot perform after each other.
Each of those rule types are about some oppositional relationship where the presence of one negatively affects the presence of other variables. That's what creates that "rotating" aspect where you got one of a pair of variables taking up space but you not being able to pin down exactly which variable it is (or 2 of 3 variables taking up space, etc).

Probably my favorite game to display how the concept works is PT16, September 1995, Game #1 (8 students divided into 3 classes). It's by no means the only game, but there are several questions in the middle of the game that are essentially a tutorial on how this concepts operates.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 KSL
|
Another one is October 1991, game 1 and the very first game in the Basic Linear Games chapter in in the game type training book. I was looking to post this exact same question as I have found the concept incredibly time saving but don’t know I have missed the opportunity to use it until my review. I will look into sep 1995 game too! Thanks.

R,
Katie

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.