to the top

#6- Recent unexpectedly heavy rainfalls in the metropolitan

lsat_novice
LSAT Leader

I thought that E was correct. I thought, "just because recent heavy rainfall filled the reservoirs doesn't mean the reservoirs will be full in the summer...it could be winter right now for all I know... and in the summer there may not be enough rainfall to avoid water rationing."

I don't understand why C is correct... what does the water company's ability to pump water have to do with water rationing? I think of water rationing as a measure set by the government... not a response to a water company that simply can't pump water fast enough.

Help please! :)
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Answer E certainly is attractive! The problem, though, is that it tells us what always happens, not anything special about this coming summer, like that it will be unusually dry. The author says the reservoirs are full, so we won't need to ration. We need an answer that says we still might need to ration, despite the full reservoirs. Answer E doesn't tell us much, if anything, about needing to ration, because it tells us what usually happens and our evidence is that we are currently unusually better prepared for that normal occurrence.

Answer C, though, adds new info that this summer we might be faced with an unusual challenge, which could offset our current good fortune. If there has been population growth, and we are having trouble getting water to all the customers, we might need to ration. In my view, pumping capacity isn't really the issue here - I think that part of the answer is more of a distraction than anything else. The issue is that while our supply is higher than normal, our demand is also higher than normal. While we might be able to avoid rationing, that increased demand makes me feel less certain, and that element of doubt it what weakens the argument.

In short, the argument is that supply is up, so we have enough. Answer E is that demand is also up. That weakens the claim that we now have enough. I hope that helps clarify it!
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam
lsat_novice
LSAT Leader

Thanks that helps! But it's hard not to be distracting by the issue of pumping capacity.