LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Below is a question from a student, Paul, and PowerScore CEO Dave Killoran's response.

Paul: "Hi,

I am going to USC and it is my freshman year. USC has this program where if you can finish your undergrad in 3 years, while maintaining a 3.8 GPA minimum, then you can not take LSAT and go to their law school. You apply for the program in your junior year, and typically 6 or 7 students apply. There is no set quota, but usually the student that does not get in just has not done interesting stuff on their resume or failed to show interest in USC Law.

Would you recommend doing this USC 3+3 program, or hold a high GPA and take the LSAT and apply to more law schools?

The 3+3 program in the end only saves me about $2,000 because I have a lot of aid. Not saving $75,000 like other students here."

Dave Killoran: "Hi Paul,

Thanks for the question! I'm familiar with the 3+3, and I always tell Freshman the same thing: wait and see. Over the next year or two a lot can happen, but there are two things to keep an eye on (assuming your GPA makes the minimum):

Your LSAT score: not now, but in a year, take a practice LSAT under timed conditions and see how you do. the appeal of the 3+3 is that you avoid taking the LSAT, but if you have a 3.8+ AND a high LSAT, then you are throwing away a lot of money by going this route. So, we need to get a better sense of how you will do on the LSAT in a few years (again, don't worry about it now--it's premature). On the other hand, if you struggle with the LSAT (and it's a tough test that many smart people find difficult), then perhaps this is a great way to get in through the back door.

How you like USC: after three years at the same school, you might want a change or alternately you might love it. You can't make a decision on that now, you have to give it some time. But keep an eye on how you like the school and the environs as that can have an affect on your decision.

The best part of your position is that you have time and don't have to decide now. So, for the time being, focus on keeping those grades high: they are a necessary condition to you even having this option."

Please let me know if that helps and good luck!"

Paul: "Hi,

Thank you that is very helpful! I have thought about waiting and seeing, but there is some commitment to it. I came in to school with a lot of AP credit, but I still need to do 20 units a semester to graduate on the 3 year track. I would take summer courses, but I need to work and USC has limited financial aid during the summer. So, I can commit to 20 units, which is basically only doing my major and no fun electives, or I can decide to tone it down and enjoy the four years and apply normally. I may try studying for the LSAT this summer and test it out.

Thank you again"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.