LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Below is a conversation between PowerScore CEO Dave Killoran and a student, Daisy, regarding law school admissions.

Daisy: "Hi,

I have a dilemma between choosing between law schools who have offered me a lot in scholarship funds versus a law school with a more noticeable name. I have received a $30, 000 per year scholarship Suffolk University, Full Ride albeit with a conditional Public Interest Fellowship from UMASS Darthmouth, and $16, 000 from Loyola in Chicago. The two I am focusing on are below:

Quinnipiac - Full Tuition Scholarship - Deans' Fellowship which includes a 1, 500 per year educational stipend and opportunity to become faculty Research Assistant, the only condition is that I have to stay in the top 50% of my class.
43% Employment/25% Underemployment
USNEWS #125

Northeastern - $10, 000 per year scholarship
57% Employment/29 % Underempployment
USNEWS #65

Still pending responses from University of Connecticut and Boston College. I know I want to practice in Boston, MA regardless of where I go to law school, and I do plan on negotiating my scholarship with Northeastern,though I am not sure if they will be very flexible. I know Northeastern is a better School for me, I absolutely adore their campus, I have friends working in the area so room and board would not be a problem, and I know so much about their co-op program and academics I could practically be a tour guide for their school. The issue truly comes down to money, basically will the differences between these two law schools ultimately lead to a significantly better job if I go to Northeastern?"

Dave Killoran: "Hi Daisy,

This is great info and perfectly presented, so thank you for doing this the right way! That said, can you do one more thing please: calculate the full debt total and resulting monthly payment for attending each school. I want you (and me) to be able to quantify *exactly* what it costs to attend Northeastern vs Quinnipiac. Include it all: living expenses, travel, tuition, books, etc. Then, post the employment numbers for the exact type of job you are seeking. Those will be more useful here as a comparison than just the broad employment numbers. Seeing those figures will provide a black and white background for your decision.

Also, that said, it may well be that the numbers don't matter. Your affinity for Northeastern is not something that should be ignored because how comfortable you are will directly impact how well you do in law school. And your grades are *everything* for your future prospects.

I realize that's a mixed answer, but those data points will help narrow this down even more I believe. Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you!"

Daisy: "Hi Dave,

Thanks for the speedy response! I have added the additional information below. I am amidst a year off between graduating undergrad and entering law school, during this time I have been working as a Paralegal at a small law firm which focuses in Health Law. Through this experience I realized I want to pursue Health Law but at a level which influences public policy such as working with a organizations to regulate quality of care given by medical providers or working with the FDA. I know I do not want to work at a small law firm (if possible).

Northeastern:
COA - 68, 943 per year (including living expenses etc.)
Scholarship - 10, 000 per year

Employment:
55% of grads are employed in MA, the next largest percentage is NY at 8.6%
4.6% Large Firm
24.9% Public Interest
1.2% Federal Clerkship

Quinnipiac:
Cost
COA - 70, 516
Full Tuition Scholarship
Educational Stipend - 1, 500 per year

Employment:
76% of Employed Graduates are employed in CT, none from the class of 2016 are employed in MA.
1.3% Large Firm
10.5% Public Interest
0% Federal Clerkship

Also I just received a email from UCONN saying I was accepted! Any merit awards will be in the mailed letter (which I haven't received yet) but I will keep you updated."

Dave Killoran: "Hi Daisy,

I wonder what's going to happen with your other apps, because it might make this two-school decision a moot point. Obviously, the comparison above makes this a bit clearer both in terms of costs (Northeastern about $1000 more a month than Quinnipiac) but also the job breakdowns (NE having better overall placement). So, at this point, a $1000 more a month seems worth the better prospects (and also fits your preference for the school).

Let's see what else comes in :)

Thanks!"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.