LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 annesm
|
Hi!

I applied and was accepted early decision to my first choice law school back in November. Recently, financial aid awards were sent out via mail, and I was not offered any scholarship assistance. While that wasn't necessarily surprising (that is a concession you make when applying ED), financial assistance would have helped me with debt upon graduation. I just called the financial aid office, and they recommended that I appeal the decision even though I was an ED candidate. I was just wondering if you could offer any advice on how to appeal the decision and make a compelling argument without using offers from comparable institutions? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Anne,

Great question! As you know because of ED, some of the best strategies for appealing financial aid decisions do not apply to you (you cannot cite comparables; you're already committed).

Thus, you will need to appeal the decision based more on circumstances that you will argue justify extra help. Here are a couple suggestions:
  • Do not cite the burden of student debt, or if you do, do not cite it as your primary rationale. Most law students have to grapple with student debt in varying amounts. Concerns about debt do not differentiate you from other students. The one exception would be if you are already committed to public interest law or another field in which your salary prospects are much lower. There are loan forgiveness options available to such lawyers (both federally and through certain law schools), but depending on your career goals and whether or not your law school offers such a program, you may be able to make a case based on your intended specialty.
  • Instead of concerns about debt, consider citing personal or family circumstances that might merit special consideration. For instance, if you have to support a sibling or sick parent, your financial hardship could prompt financial concessions.
  • If these circumstances do not apply to you (or even if they do), err on the side of asking for a modest grant, even two or three thousand dollars a year to help defray expenses. If you aim small, you're indicating that any amount would help; it's not all or nothing.
  • Inquire about work study options for 2L and 3L. You can indicate your willingness to deal with the financial challenges of 1L if perhaps there might be help available later on.
Above all convey the message that you are looking forward to matriculating but that you wish to have a sound financial plan in order ahead of time. Thank them for reconsidering your request.

I hope this helps!
 annesm
|
Jonathan Evans wrote:Hi, Anne,

Great question! As you know because of ED, some of the best strategies for appealing financial aid decisions do not apply to you (you cannot cite comparables; you're already committed).

Thus, you will need to appeal the decision based more on circumstances that you will argue justify extra help. Here are a couple suggestions:
  • Do not cite the burden of student debt, or if you do, do not cite it as your primary rationale. Most law students have to grapple with student debt in varying amounts. Concerns about debt do not differentiate you from other students. The one exception would be if you are already committed to public interest law or another field in which your salary prospects are much lower. There are loan forgiveness options available to such lawyers (both federally and through certain law schools), but depending on your career goals and whether or not your law school offers such a program, you may be able to make a case based on your intended specialty.
  • Instead of concerns about debt, consider citing personal or family circumstances that might merit special consideration. For instance, if you have to support a sibling or sick parent, your financial hardship could prompt financial concessions.
  • If these circumstances do not apply to you (or even if they do), err on the side of asking for a modest grant, even two or three thousand dollars a year to help defray expenses. If you aim small, you're indicating that any amount would help; it's not all or nothing.
  • Inquire about work study options for 2L and 3L. You can indicate your willingness to deal with the financial challenges of 1L if perhaps there might be help available later on.
Above all convey the message that you are looking forward to matriculating but that you wish to have a sound financial plan in order ahead of time. Thank them for reconsidering your request.

I hope this helps!
Yes this is very helpful! Thank you so much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.