LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 msirchia
|
Hello,

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought were the strongest schools for Ent law in NYC.

Of Columbia is up there but everyone I've talked to has differing opinions on whether Brooklyn Law is strong or if Fordham is any better.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Matt
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the question! LA is the place that really has the entertainment focus, so in NYC what you typically see is that the schools go in order of rankings/reputation: Columbia, NYU, Fordham, and on.

It also depends on what part of entertainment law we are talking about. IP has become a big part of the industry, and so a foundation there is helpful, but that's a whole different job than say, negotiating contracts or representation. these elements can have an effect on the programs offered at each school, and thus the outcomes.

The usual rule is that in the absence of any specific ranking of programs, the biggest "name" is the best call since that tends to open more doors.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 msirchia
|
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response!

I agree in that the main Ent Law programs will be in LA UCLA, SouthWestern, USC.....

I forgot to add to my initial question that I have been a working professional within the Music industry for the last 6 years so I would have a pre existing network of relationships to bring into the legal market of representing artists and such.

Out of the NY schools, is anyone of them much more prominent in IP than the other?
Also in your opinion will programs like NYU, Columbia and Fordham value my high level work experience in lieu of a low Undergrad GPA from 12 years ago?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I have nothing to offer with regard to specific schools or their programs, msirchia, but I can suggest an approach to get you the info you need. If I were in your shoes, I would investigate firms and attorneys who practice in the areas that you want to practice in. Then, I would look at their bios on their websites and see where they went to school. Next, I would call a handful of these firms and ask to speak to associates, especially recent hires, about where they went, how they felt about their program, and what they would recommend to give you the best chance of finding work in your chosen field after graduation. I would also ask to speak with partners or senior associates about what they are looking for, and where they see their industry, and their practice, going in the next 5 years. If you want to know where to go to get you the job you want, talk to the people who were recently hired to do those jobs, and to the people that hired them!

Good luck!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
msirchia wrote:Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response!

I agree in that the main Ent Law programs will be in LA UCLA, SouthWestern, USC.....

I forgot to add to my initial question that I have been a working professional within the Music industry for the last 6 years so I would have a pre existing network of relationships to bring into the legal market of representing artists and such.

Out of the NY schools, is anyone of them much more prominent in IP than the other?
Also in your opinion will programs like NYU, Columbia and Fordham value my high level work experience in lieu of a low Undergrad GPA from 12 years ago?
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the question. It's really all down to name recognition at a certain point, and even if Fordham had an IP program that was well rated, a school like Columbia trumps that with an overall rating that's better. It's kind of like football: your team might have the better running back, but if my team has the better players in most other positions, we're considered the better team overall. thus, your goal should really to be to get into the best school possible, which is usually reflected in the overall rankings.

That said, here's the current IP Law rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... w-rankings (NYU #3)

And here are the current overall rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... w-rankings

Last, schools will like your experience, but unfortunately law school is all about the numbers, LSAT first and GPA second in importance. If you don't have the numbers for a school, it's very tough to overcome that with soft factors like work experience. It's ridiculous and backwards, but this is the system we have these days unfortunately.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 msirchia
|
Thank you Adam and Dave!

Adam, contacting associates and senior partners seems like a great idea!

Dave, would attaching an addendum to my applications simply just accepting responsibility for my low UGPA but since it was 12 years ago explaining that through my professional career I have matured and since grown as a person?

Or that wouldn't make a difference?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Matt,

An addendum could help here, and I don't see it hurting. I don't recall your exact GPA, but if it's below 3.0, then I see no harm in explaining that it was from a long time ago.

Good luck!
 msirchia
|
Dave Killoran wrote:Hey Matt,

An addendum could help here, and I don't see it hurting. I don't recall your exact GPA, but if it's below 3.0, then I see no harm in explaining that it was from a long time ago.

Good luck!

Thank you dave, yes my GPA was in the low to mid 2's but that was a long time ago.

Would an addendum help ease the blow of this or theres no shot at all even with high LSAT of getting into law school?
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Matt,
Schools will look at the totality of your experience. So if you have been working beyond your school experience AND it is in a relevant field to the type of law you want to practice you should make sure to highlight this in your personal statement or addendum.
Hope that helps!
-Malila

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.