to the top

February 2018 LSAT - International Test Discussion

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

The LSAT that international test takers are given is different from the US/Canada test, so we have created this thread to minimize confusion as everyone gets together to talk about their test content.

Below, let us know more about your international test, including questions and topics that you remember, section order, and overall impressions (difficulty, uniqueness/familiarity, odd elements, etc). With that information, we will begin listing which LG/RC/LR questions were real and which were known to be experimental (for more information on determining the Experimental section, please read: The Experimental Section Explained).

When you post, please indicate when and where you took the LSAT, and then follow the posting guidelines (and other considerations) provided below!

This information can help you determine whether to keep or cancel your score (although these days you rarely should cancel since only your highest score matters). For more assistance on making that decision, please visit: The Ultimate LSAT Scoring Guide: Should You Keep or Cancel?

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Note: The list below will be updated in real time as we learn more about the exam, and thus is neither official nor complete while the discussion is ongoing. If you are considering cancelling based on the details provided here, give this thread a day or two so that we can make sure all of the information is accurate.

Working Information — Last updated February 12th, 2018 at 1:53 PM Eastern US time. Still looking for additional test takers from other areas to identify LG/RC/LR topics. I'll update regularly.

London — Aimeeque
    LR-RC-LG-LR-LG
    RC: Same RC as other London taker: bebop/jazz; the comparative one on pragmatist approaches to law; a chemist creating some invention
    Second LG section: ended with a game about a man choosing to buy books

London — soniasotomayor
    RC-LR-LR-LG-LR
    RC: bebop/jazz; the comparative one on pragmatist approaches to law; a chemist creating some invention

London — DHicks
    RC-LR-LR-LG-LR
    RC: bebop/jazz; the comparative one on pragmatist approaches to law; a chemist creating some invention
    LG: linear classification of employees; ended with a game about a man choosing to buy books (selection - 6 questions)

Dave note: The London tests were not the same as the ones in Australia/South Korea, at the least.
    In London, the scored LG had the 4th game of choosing books; the scored RC had bebop/jazz, pragmatist approaches to law (Comparative), and Chemist/invention

Poland
    First LG section: yoga, south bay/north bay
    Second LG section: employees, music quartet, school subjects

South Korea — hichaeyeon
    RC-LR-RC-LR-LG
    One RC section: hedges; comparative reading about sprawling
    Note: "I checked out the North American Test discussion and it seems like the experimental sections were the same!"
    Dave question: by "sprawling," do you mean urban sprawl? And what were your exact LG?

South Korea — lsat0000
    RC-LR-RC-LR-LG
    One RC section: neoclassic sculptures
    Other RC section: jazz and how its influence changed over the past few decades
    LG section: a guy arranging books/photographs of authors (Hemingway)

Melbourne, Australia — TGIT
    LR-RC-LG-LG-LR
    First LG section: delegates needing to go to 3 different countries
    Second LG section: 3 markets selling a possible 5 items; 5 spaces to fill in order
    LG: musical instruments we had to order; sorting 7 people/ groups into 5 years
    RC: Urban Sprawl; Hedges (Comparative Reading)

Australia — LSATBOY18
    LR-RC-LG-LG-LR
    One RC section: Neoclassic sculptures; Urban sprawl
    Did not have RC with Jazz/Bebop

Both LG sections: Engine's being serviced on different days of the week; one with delegates visiting London, Milan and Paris; one with three markets selling five items; one with a musician composing a new piece and you had to order the instruments; the one with the bookstore putting up photos of famous authors.
    LR: politicians have a moral obligation to keep campaign promises only if they benefit the people

Dave note: In Australia and South Korea, the real RC appears to have been Urban Sprawl, Neoclassic Sculptures, and Hedges.

North American LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?t=16485

Accommodated LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16481

Sabbath-Observer LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16480
Jon Denning
PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
Aimeeque
LSAT Novice

I wrote in London and I’m trying to figure out which LG section was the experimental. I’m not certain that this was my order but I think it went LR, RC, LG/LR, LG. The second LG ended with a game about a man choosing to buy books. Was this the ex?
TGIT
LSAT Novice

I sat in Melbourne, Australia. Order of my test was LR RC LG LG LR. I'm hoping that the second LR was experimental.

LG:
For the second LG All I remember about it was that the first two games were pretty simple and I did them in 10 mins. I also remember something about delegates needing to go to 3 different countries (?) I think this was the 2nd LG.

There was definitely one about 3 markets selling a possible 5 items.
Another game where there were 5 spaces to fill in order with the acronyms of L K G (L could not be in spaces 1 3 5. That's all I remember).

And was it just me or was the RC hard?
lsat0000
LSAT Novice

I had RC-LR-RC-LR-LG. What RC passages do you remember? Trying to figure out which one could’ve been an experimental one
soniasotomayor
LSAT Novice

Hi! I too took it in London. Mine was RC LR LR LG LR. Do you recall what any of the passages were from RC? I found them really difficult (something about bebop/jazz; the comparative one on pragmatist approaches to law; a chemist creating some invention). I also need to find out which LR was the experimental. The second LR I had was very very difficult to me.
hichaeyeon
LSAT Novice

Hi I took the exam in South Korea! I had RC LR RC LR LG!
I checked out the North American Test discussion and it seems like the experimental sections were the same!
I think the scored RC section will be the one about hedges and the comparative reading about sprawling.
hichaeyeon
LSAT Novice

I think the LG you're talking about is scored. I had an RC experimental and I had the section you explained.

TGIT wrote:I sat in Melbourne, Australia. Order of my test was LR RC LG LG LR. I'm hoping that the second LR was experimental.

LG:
For the second LG All I remember about it was that the first two games were pretty simple and I did them in 10 mins. I also remember something about delegates needing to go to 3 different countries (?) I think this was the 2nd LG.

There was definitely one about 3 markets selling a possible 5 items.
Another game where there were 5 spaces to fill in order with the acronyms of L K G (L could not be in spaces 1 3 5. That's all I remember).

And was it just me or was the RC hard?
lsat0000
LSAT Novice

Hi! I also took mine in South Korea. Was the real RC section the one with a passage on neoclassic sculptures? If so, I guess the third section (RC) is going to be the scored section then! How did you guys feel about the test overall? I personally thought that the reading passage was pretty hard compared to past PTs..
Aimeeque
LSAT Novice

soniasotomayor wrote:Hi! I too took it in London. Mine was RC LR LR LG LR. Do you recall what any of the passages were from RC? I found them really difficult (something about bebop/jazz; the comparative one on pragmatist approaches to law; a chemist creating some invention). I also need to find out which LR was the experimental. The second LR I had was very very difficult to me.

Yes, I had that RC; I found it pretty bearable except that some of the questions re: the Jazz paragraph seemed a bit unclear. I remember one that I couldn’t really find convincing evidence for in the passage, and I spent a LOT of time on it since I had completed everything else, so that was weird. What was in your LG? I really don’t want this books one included (something about a guy deciding which books to buy- if this one then not that one, etc); I think the other LG section I wrote was perfect so I’d rather have that!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Ok, it took us a bit to get over to this thread but here's how we can see which test you had, and consequently which section was experimental.

First, some international test takers were given the same exam as the US/Canada test takers. The details of that exam are here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16485. Here's where to go from there:

1. If the test in the above link sounds like yours, then you had the same exam as the US/Canada takers, and you can use that fino to determine what was real and what was not.

2. If nothing from that link sounds familiar at all, then you had a different test, and for us to pin down your experimental, we need more information. Here's what will help the most:

Where you took the exam
      Your exact section order
      As much as you can remember about each section. This is especially the case if you had only a single LG or a single RC.

I'll try to compile some of the info above, but any details help here. Often the international tests are different, so for most of you the link above will be about a test that is unfamiliar.

Thanks!
Dave Killoran
PowerScore Test Preparation
Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DaveKilloran
My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/dave-killoran