LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 beniakc
|
Question 7
Is it not cause and effect becuase there is no conclusion? Dave addresses why its wrong, but I dont understand (maybe I misssed it).

Also, since this is a positive correlation, what would a negative correlation look like?
 beniakc
|
Could I also get a better break down of 22. I see why it is grouping but not why it can not be linear.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
beniakc wrote:Question 7
Is it not cause and effect becuase there is no conclusion? Dave addresses why its wrong, but I dont understand (maybe I misssed it).

Also, since this is a positive correlation, what would a negative correlation look like?
In that example, the gambler has noticed that in the past, when he's driven to Reno, he has won, and when he has flown to Reno he has lost every time.

This relationship reflects a positive correlation between driving to Reno and winning money. That is, those two factors have tended to move together; when he has driven he has tended to win, and when he has won he has tended to have driven. That does not mean, however, that driving caused him to win (since gambling generally deals with some degree of chance, it seems rather unlikely that driving caused his wins).

A negative correlation exists between the gamblers driving experiences and his losing experiences: when he has driven he has tended not to lose, and when he has lost he has tended not to have driven.

Let me know whether this clears things up--causation vs. correlation can be tricky.

~Steve
 beniakc
|
Should'nt that question reflect both a positive and negative correlation then?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Since the question that you referenced specifically asks about the relationship between driving to Reno and winning money, the answer deals only with a positive correlation.

Let me know whether this clears things up--thanks,

~Steve
 beniakc
|
ahhhhh damn!! Now I see it. Reading to fast!! ugggg

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.