LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Amy Uecker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We recently received the following question from a student. We will shortly post a response below. Thanks!

1. Does one have to put transcripts from every school that I ever went to on the LSAC website?
2. I do volunteer work. Should have those people put letters together for me? (just regular letters of recommendation)
3. I did online schooling. What the best way of getting academic letters of recommendation?
4. I'm not really shooting for a top law school. I was wondering what is the average LSAT score for mone to get a scholarship?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

I'll try to answer these questions, but in some cases the answers aren't clear and require far more information :-D

1. Does one have to put transcripts from every school that I ever went to on the LSAC website?
This is a simple answer: yes. The rules are here: https://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law ... ranscripts

"...you must have a separate transcript sent to LSAC directly from each undergraduate and graduate institution you attended in the United States, its territories/associated states, or Canada."

2. I do volunteer work. Should have those people put letters together for me? (just regular letters of recommendation)
I did a comprehensive free seminar on Letters of Recommendation (LOR), which covers all the bases: https://vimeo.com/195500523. The answer is: it depends on what they will say and how well they know you.

3. I did online schooling. What the best way of getting academic letters of recommendation?
It's really the same as at any school: find professors that you developed a relationship with or that you know your work, and request a LOR. But use the tips in the seminar linked above to get the best possible outcome.

4. I'm not really shooting for a top law school. I was wondering what is the average LSAT score for mone to get a scholarship?
The averages vary widely, so it's really tough to even start answering this question, but the basic answer is: the higher the better. Your LSAT score will have a huge impact not only on where you get in, but also what kind of aid is offered to you. This is a proven fact, and since law schools these days only care about your high score, the default advice has become to do whatever it takes to get the best score possible. An example (which is part of a discussion on being waitlisted, but the point about a higher LSAT score helping increase aid is the same):

"An increased LSAT score can lead to scholarship offers for applicants admitted off the Wait List. Spivey says, "This is one of those happy scenarios where I have seen hard work and persistence at the LSAT not only get applicants into their dream school, but even generate significant scholarship awards for being admitted off of the waitlist." So, not only can you get accepted, but it can improve your financial package as well. " From: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-la ... -june-lsat

If you blow the top off the LSAT compared to a schools 75th percentile, you can generate full ride offers (assuming the rest of your ap is reasonable), which is why you are seeing more people take the LSAT multiple times. they are looking for max scores both to offset GPAs and to hopefully get more $$.

Please let us now if that helps. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.