LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 akanshalsat
|
I'm just writing this message, because I'm extremely anxious and worried for my first LSAT exam, which I'm taking this coming Feb. I'm a senior at university, and after graduating I plan on taking a GAP year, so I can hopefully enroll at a law school in fall of 2019. I was supposed to take the LSAT this last September, and even prepared a little bit using your 2 months self-study books, over the summer, but since I did not get enough time over the summer and semester to properly study, I decided to move the exam to Feb. I've spent the past 4 weeks studying using the self-study schedule, and have completed 1 to 2 full-length exams (untimed), but I'm extremely worried that even when I'm not timing my exams, I'm not getting an extremely high score, such as in the 170s. For example, the first untimed exam I took, a week ago, I got a 165, which is okay, but if it was timed, I'm afraid I probably would have done worse. Looking to you for advice, do you think its okay that I'm still pretty slow and not extremely accurate with my exams? Other than following your 2-month study schedule is there anything else I should focus on to try to get my timing faster and accuracy up? I'm afraid that if I don't do well on this exam this time I won't have another viable option to take the exam until September, and that might be too late. I guess my rant's basic point is: is it okay that even though i'm almost 4 to 5 weeks into my "2 months self-study schedule" I'm not well on timed, still fairly slow, and not getting extremely high scores? Is it possible for me to get a competitive score?
Sorry for such a long message,
Thank you for your time
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi akansha,

First of all, a 165 is terrific score. It's great to see a student doing well. I certainly understand wanting to get this test "out of the way" so that you can enjoy a gap year fully, but I have to ask if you really want to rush this process?

After all, if you are shooting for a score in the 170's and you are scoring a 165 on an untimed test, that score is well withing your grasp with some studying and more practice. Which is to say, although it sounds like you are have a ton of recognition and accuracy with this this test, you may still need to work on your confidence, endurance and speed for the LSAT. All of those latter things come with work and more experience with prep tests and drills.

Which brings me to your other question. September 2018 is certainly not too late to take this exam for fall 2019 entrance. In fact, it's when most people who will be seeking admission for 2019 will be looking to take the test. So I would advise, if you are shooting for a score in the 170's, take your time. Get some more experience and work done in your preparation with an eye to taking the exam in September. This test will still be here and you will have a much better chance at meeting your goals with the extra preparation. Consider taking one of our online classes, an in-person class or even hiring a tutor for a few hours to fine tune your approach to certain question types or sections. You got this. ;)
 akanshalsat
|
Hello!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply, its certainly a little more comforting. I will definitely look into the september exam, but since I've already signed up for February, I really don't want to let go of this opportunity. I feel that though I do understand the material, I'm very shaky on timing and my fear mostly stems from the fact that if timed, my practice test scores will most likely fall way below average. I was wondering what your advice would be for me to prepare for the September exam if I would have to take it? Though I cannot do a full blown online course due to having a busy work schedule starting from June, I enjoy doing the self study option. Would I have to purchase new books for September self study If I split up my studying time for a longer span than 2 months as I did this time? Or will these books work fine for a longer self studying span? So sorry for so many questions, I just would like to know the best way to increase my score.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Akansha,

It sounds like you've mentally committed to taking the February LSAT. That leaves roughly four weeks of study time to improve your score. As of today, you've taken an untimed exam and scored well. A 165 is a very solid score, and it means you're starting from a high floor, with the potential to score very well on an official test. So how to get there?

The first step is knowing your strengths and weaknesses. Take a timed diagnostic test and see where you score. Use this test as a baseline, and don't worry too much about where you score low or high, but focus on how you feel about taking a timed test in general (i.e. anxiety levels, time management, etc.).

Next, dive into the study materials and how to approach the various types of Logical Reasoning questions, the Logic Games, and Reading Comprehension. Once you feel you have a firm grasp on question/game/passage types and how to approach them, start doing practice tests as often as possible. I'd recommend three or four a week, with tests taken on one day and reviewed intensively the next, including both correct and incorrect answers. You want to be looking for how you're applying methodology to get to an answer choice, not whether you chose the correct answer. Correct methodology will lead you to correct answers in a timely manner, so focus on method over results.

As you take more practice tests and review your methods, you will become more comfortable with both the test itself and the methods to score well on it. This will help with timing and confidence, and allow you to score as high as you possibly can. Don't let the relative proximity of the test or your untimed test score deter you. There's still plenty of time and you clearly are able to do well. Don't let fear or anxiety stand in the way!

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.