LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 1800-HELPME
|
Hello PowerScore Staff!

I completed the PowerScore In Person Course from May to June 2017 and took the September 2017 LSAT. Unfortunately, I did not get the score that I wanted, but would like to continue using PowerScore methods to review so I can get my desired score in June 2018. I am hoping that 6 months will be enough preparation this time around.

I have the complete set of PowerScore Bibles, and the PowerScore course books that were included in the In Person course.

I am the type of person who feels more comfortable following a program. Do you think it would be advisable to register for an Live/On-Demand online course even though I have already completed an In Person course, or would it just be the same content as the In Person course?

I’ve also taken a look at the 6-month LSAT study plan, and found that it recommended Training books and LSAC-issued Practice Booklets (both of which I have not purchased). Do you think I can do without those, and instead use the Bibles and course books, along with practice tests from the Online Student Center? Or would it be better to use the LSAC test booklets since I have done a fair amount of the practice tests from the OSC.

Also, is it possible to register for the OSC by itself without registering for a course?

I hope somebody can answer my questions. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
1800-HELP ME
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
1800-HELPME wrote:Hello PowerScore Staff!

I completed the PowerScore In Person Course from May to June 2017 and took the September 2017 LSAT. Unfortunately, I did not get the score that I wanted, but would like to continue using PowerScore methods to review so I can get my desired score in June 2018. I am hoping that 6 months will be enough preparation this time around.

I have the complete set of PowerScore Bibles, and the PowerScore course books that were included in the In Person course.

I am the type of person who feels more comfortable following a program. Do you think it would be advisable to register for an Live/On-Demand online course even though I have already completed an In Person course, or would it just be the same content as the In Person course?

I’ve also taken a look at the 6-month LSAT study plan, and found that it recommended Training books and LSAC-issued Practice Booklets (both of which I have not purchased). Do you think I can do without those, and instead use the Bibles and course books, along with practice tests from the Online Student Center? Or would it be better to use the LSAC test booklets since I have done a fair amount of the practice tests from the OSC.

Also, is it possible to register for the OSC by itself without registering for a course?

I hope somebody can answer my questions. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
1800-HELP ME
Hi Help me!

Thanks for the question, and we are certainly disappointed to hear that you did not reach your desired LSAT score.

The Live Online and On Demand courses follow the same syllabus as the In Person Course, so in that regard you will be covering the same material. However, many students find that taking the course a second time helps cover and clarify topics that they may have missed the first time around. :)

With The LSAT Course, you did have access to a majority of the LSAT Tests already, so it really wouldn't be necessary to purchase those tests again.

You can regain access to your Online Student Center for a fee, and that will give you access to all the practice tests you had before as well as your course material such as explanations. We do also offer discounts on our courses, including a repeat discount off the In Person you already took. Lastly, we offer a discount off our tutoring hours and packages to current and former course students.

I will go ahead and send you an email with more detail, but if you have any questions, feel free to post here, or call us at 1-800-545-1750.

Thanks!
 ElizabethR
|
Hey there, I actually have the same question but I don't think it was answered, or this part was not.

"I’ve also taken a look at the 6-month LSAT study plan, and found that it recommended Training books and LSAC-issued Practice Booklets (both of which I have not purchased). Do you think I can do without those, and instead use the Bibles and course books, along with practice tests from the Online Student Center?"

I am wondering if I should get the workbooks or the books from the in person class is enough. If I get the workbooks, when should I start them?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good follow-up, Elizabeth! The big difference between the Bibles and the course books is the level of explanation provided. The Bibles are chock full of explanations, because they are aimed at students who do not have a tutor or course instructor to help explain things to them, and they do not have access to the Online Student Center for additional material and explanations. In short, those are aimed at the student who is focused almost exclusively on self-study.

While we try to avoid too much overlap between the different sets of books, some cannot be avoided, as both are designed to cover the same big concepts, strategies, and techniques. If you still have plenty of untapped material in the course books (mainly in the homework, but perhaps there was also material in the lessons that was not covered in class, as that often happens due to time constraints), start your self-study program by using what you already have. That may include getting access to the Online Student Center again, if your access has expired.

If you have used all of your available materials, I would suggest books like the workbooks for additional practice, including drills, or the Question Type Training books to just have a bunch more questions to work on. Of course, you also have access to many, many practice tests, and you can break some of those up into parts to do both timed and untimed practice on test sections.

In short, start with what you have, including the online resources, and then add more books only if and when needed.
 ElizabethR
|
Thank you both very much
 1800-HELPME
|
Hello again!

I have a few more additional questions.

1) Is there any merit to redoing questions I've already done in my Lessons books (the ones I received from the in person course), or is it advisable to practice with questions I haven't seen before?

I've tried erasing my answers and then doing them in a way where I can't see my previous markings, but some of the content of the questions are still familiar to me. I'm not sure if this kind of practice is helpful.

2) Just double checking (as I am planning to reinstate my OSC pretty soon), the more in-depth explanations for the questions in the Lessons books are located there right?

Is there a special forum where I can ask questions about those explanations. Do I ask on the OSC, or in this public forum?

Hope to hear from you soon!
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
1800-HELPME wrote:Hello again!

I have a few more additional questions.

1) Is there any merit to redoing questions I've already done in my Lessons books (the ones I received from the in person course), or is it advisable to practice with questions I haven't seen before?

I've tried erasing my answers and then doing them in a way where I can't see my previous markings, but some of the content of the questions are still familiar to me. I'm not sure if this kind of practice is helpful.

2) Just double checking (as I am planning to reinstate my OSC pretty soon), the more in-depth explanations for the questions in the Lessons books are located there right?

Is there a special forum where I can ask questions about those explanations. Do I ask on the OSC, or in this public forum?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Hey there help me,

I am not sure about the second question but will make sure that someone gets on here to answer it. As for the first question, I personally find it advantageous to redo questions, even if you remember the content, and the answer, because it helped me to remember why it was the correct answer and work through it correctly. This may not be a tactic that works for everyone. I would suggest trying it out and if you seem to be remembering the rule or technique when you look at the question and you are able to apply it, i would keep at it. Otherwise, it's probably not a valuable use of time.

Hope this is helpful.
Shannon

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.