to the top

Chapter 3 Linear Games, Pg. 97. #12

naonao
LSAT Novice

Hi,

In the explanation for question #12 (pg. 116), I do not see how the determination for correct vs. incorrect was made for answer choices B-E. I don't understand how you know that an option is not necessarily true without actually attempting to complete a scenario. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

Resist the urge to pursue scenarios to explain every answer choice, naonao - that way lies madness (and a lot of wasted time). Instead, for a Must Be True question like these, focus on what you know to be true based on your original diagram and any local diagramming that you did for the question.

I'm working from a different version of the LG Bible than you have - my page has question 11 on it, for which the correct answer is C, not A. So, before I go and explain the wrong question to you, would you please send me a more complete description of the question? I'll do my best once I have that in hand.

Meanwhile, remember that nothing has to be true unless, well, it has to be true. If your diagram doesn't show that J is third, for example, then J doesn't have to be third - no need to test that unless you are unsure and have it as one of multiple contenders after eliminating the losers. Use prior work, too - if in one solution J was 4th, then you know, without doing any new work, that it doesn't have to be 3rd! If the question is local, and you have diagrammed the local restriction, you should probably have made at least one more inference beyond that restriction, and that is likely to be your correct answer, while answers that you could not infer from the local setup are not necessarily true.

Finally, without going to the trouble of fully diagramming all the contenders, start by asking yourself "is this necessary?" If you are testing whether J has to be third, try mentally placing it somewhere else. Can you visualize a solution with J in some other space? Will that force you to violate one of the rules? If you can picture it without a problem, then J need not be third. You should only resort to diagramming out scenarios for multiple answers if you have sorted losers and contenders, found that you have more than one contender, your prior work isn't helping, and you can't visualize a scenario where one of those answers isn't necessary. Remember to avoid the trap of checking to see if the answer COULD be true - there are plenty of wrong answers to Must Be True questions that COULD be true, even though they don't have to be. Instead of testing whether it could be true (by placing J third, for example), test whether it isn't necessarily true (by placing J somewhere - anywhere - else).

Send me the details of that specific question, either here or in a private message, and I'll dive deeper for you on it!
Adam M. Tyson
PowerScore LSAT, GRE, ACT and SAT Instructor
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/LSATadam