to the top

December 2017 LSAT - Sabbath Observer Test Discussion

Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
PowerScore Staff

The LSAT that Sabbath observing test takers are given is different from the regular US/Canada test, so we have created this thread to minimize confusion as everyone gets together to talk about their test content.

Below, let us know more about your test, including questions and topics that you remember, section order, and overall impressions (difficulty, uniqueness/familiarity, odd elements, etc). With that information, we will begin listing which LG/RC/LR questions were real and which were known to be experimental (for more information on determining the Experimental section, please read: The Experimental Section Explained).

When you post, please follow the posting guidelines (and other considerations) provided below!

This information can help you determine whether to keep or cancel your score (although these days you rarely should cancel since only your highest score matters). For more assistance on making that decision, please visit: The Ultimate LSAT Scoring Guide: Should You Keep or Cancel?

Per LSAC policies, you are allowed to discuss LSAT question topics and difficulty in general. For example, this means you can identify a game by name and discuss whether you thought it was difficult. You cannot talk about specific answer choices, however. So, "The Water Tubes game was difficult for me" is fine; "the answer to the first three questions was A in that game" is not acceptable.

Note: The list below will be updated in real time as we learn more about the exam, and thus is neither official nor complete while the discussion is ongoing. If you are considering cancelling based on the details provided here, give this thread a day or two so that we can make sure all of the information is accurate.

Scored Sections

Real Logic Games (not necessarily in order)

1. Visiting mines (Grayson or Krona) over a number of months (March-November)
      2. 6 entities being assigned to three time slots in each day
      3. 6 entities for seven days of the week in sequence

Real Reading Comprehension (not necessarily in order)

1. 14th amendment and principle of "attribution" (original contract)
      2. Domesticated Horses and Breeding
      3. Opera and Words (Comparative Reading)
      4. Tectonic plates, Subduction, and Earthquakes

Real Logical Reasoning

Greek chef
      Termites

Experimental Sections

Experimental Logic Games
    Some of these were reported as experimentals on the Saturday administration

Rumor/leak in information in a company

Experimental Reading Comprehension
    Some of these were reported as experimentals on the Saturday administration

Emily Noether
      Ballet choreographer George Balanchine
      Arbitration between corporations and consumers (Comparative Reading)

Experimental Logical Reasoning

Uncertain

LG: One section: Artifacts being examined (difficult)

Section orders and question counts

LG(Exp)-LR(26)-LG(23)-LR (25)-RC (27)
      LR(26) - LG - RC(Exp) - RC - LR(25)

LG: 23 questions
      LR1: 26 questions
      LR2: 25 questions
      RC: 27 questions
      Total: 101 questions

North American LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15993

International LSAT Information

See viewtopic.php?t=15995
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    ZMB
    LSAT Novice

My test was LG-LR-LG-LR-RC

The first LG was super easy and I expect the experimental section. The second LG was was normal - nothing too hard, nothing too simple. The most challenging game was with visiting mines (Grayson or Krona) over a number of months.
    The RC subjects were about words and opera, subduction, something about keeping to the original contract in law cases..
    I can’t remember much of LR but maybe the first section was more challenging than the second.
    uhinberg
    LSAT Apprentice

Jon,

The four RC passages were (1) 14th amendment and principle of "attribution" (2) domesticated horses (2) opera (comparative) (4) tectonic plates (subduction).

The previous poster is correct about the his first LG section being experimental, but contrary to how he felt, many others felt that that section was particularly difficult, because it had one game that was like the virus game on steroids.

I'd love to help with LR questions, but I don't remember specifics without being prompted.
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Staff
    PowerScore Staff

Thanks a ton guys! I'll add that information up top. If you remember any more throw it in here.

At some point as I learn more I'll see if I can piece together which test this one was, whether a duplicate on an international exam from this weekend or a past year's February test (or both).

In the meantime I hope it went well!
    Jon Denning
    PowerScore Test Preparation

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jonmdenning
    My LSAT Articles: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/author/jon-denning
    Joshua12345
    LSAT Novice

Hi, so I took the Sabbath Observation Accommodations December exam which was yesterday, Monday, December 4th, 2017.

The order of my sections were LR (26 questions) - LG - RC (experimental) - RC - LR (25 questions).

My first RC had a passage about Emily Noether, a comparative passage about arbitration between corporations and consumers, and a passage about ballet choreographer George Balanchine. I don't remember what the fourth passage in that section was. It seems like these three passages were listed as experimental for Saturday's exam. The passages that are listed for the Saturday exam that were not experimental don't sound familiar to me.

My second RC section had a comparative passage about opera, words and poetry (those are key themes I remember from it). It also had a passage about tectonic plates, subduction and earthquakes. Another passage about horses and breeding, and demoesticated or wild. And another passage about the 14th Amendment and the principle of attribution.

My first game was two group grouping game with 6 entities being assigned to three time slots in each day. Another game was about a group being assigned to work either of two mines between the months of March through November. In between each switch between the two workplaces they had to work at headquarters. There was also a days of the week sequence game for 6 entities for seven days. All had to go, one went twice. I remember the specific rules for each of these three games, idk if that's permitted to be written though. I don't recall the other game right now.
    uhinberg
    LSAT Apprentice

Hi Jon,

The game about the "rumor" was actually a game about a leak in information in a company, and that was the experimental games sections (confirmed with test takers who had only one LG). And conversely, the section with employees spending certain months at certain mines was the real LG section.

The first real LR had 26 questions, and the second real LR had 25.
    uhinberg
    LSAT Apprentice

On a somewhat related note, I have found out that last September's (2016) Sabbath Observer test was identical to the regular Saturday LSAT that was given in September.
    GladItsOverLSAT
    LSAT Novice

I had LG (experimental) LR (26) LG(23 and real) LR (25) and RC (27)
    The first LG wasn't so hard other then the game like the virus game. When I got up to that game I figured it was experimental as it was almost exactly like the virus game in terms of key inferences.
    The LR 26 was the hardest section of the test with a bunch of hard questions even for top scorers. The Greek chef question, the termites question etc...
    The second LG was easy. The only slightly hard game was the months one but even that wasn't really bad. I think I went minus zero on games.
    LR 25 was not amazing but overall pretty standard.
    I found RC to be easier then normal.
    All in all I don't think this test is a minus 9 for 170 because of the LR 26 but since everything else was either standard (LR 25) or easier (LG and RC) I think minus 10 is likely or maybe minus 11 if we are lucky.