LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi HB,

Good to hear from you but I'm not happy to hear that December didn't go well!

Just to reiterate, schools only care about the high score (example: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult/statu ... 9918298112), and you should NOT write an addendum about your history. It will look like complaining and do more damage than help!

So, relax and don't worry about it! Happy holidays to you too!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Hbdash,

I'm sorry to hear your score went down, but I certainly wouldn't call a 162 "abysmal!" It's up to you whether you take the next LSAT, and you've already heard a lot of advice on that point. I would advise against including an addendum to "explain away" your third score. First, there's really nothing to explain--you didn't have any sort of external circumstance or adverse life event that affected your test day, and a 162 is lower but not hugely different from your other scores. The schools you apply to will see that you have taken the LSAT 3-4 times and understand that you have been working for a higher score.

I would, instead, put effort into improving your personal statement. Make sure it highlights what makes you want to go to law school and shows you as unique/offering unique perspectives or life/work experiences. Make sure the personal statement has a strong theme and is not just a restatement of your resume. Consider answering questions like: How does your current work relate to your career goals? What kinds of activities/extracurriculars do you plan to take part in while in law school? If you know that your school has a specialized program in an area of interest, consider including that in your statement. Your personal statement should include past, present, and future, and the "future" portion should give the reader some idea of how you will contribute to the law school community.

And remember that the personal statement is a writing sample, and that it should showcase your writing ability. Make sure it reads clearly and expresses your ideas in an organized manner.

As another poster commented, make sure these elements of your application that are entirely within your control are mint! As far as the letters of recommendation, if you are able to get one out of your current position, don't be shy about asking the recommender to comment on particular aspects of your personality/experience that would mesh well with your personal statement, resume, and application as a whole. A successful application will communicate a clear, complete, and cohesive picture of you as a candidate.

Good luck!
 Hbdash
|
Dave Killoran wrote:Hi HB,

Good to hear from you but I'm not happy to hear that December didn't go well!

Just to reiterate, schools only care about the high score (example: https://twitter.com/SpiveyConsult/statu ... 9918298112), and you should NOT write an addendum about your history. It will look like complaining and do more damage than help!

So, relax and don't worry about it! Happy holidays to you too!
I definitely trust you Dave. Can't thank you enough for all the help!!
 Hbdash
|
Claire Horan wrote:Hi Hbdash,

I'm sorry to hear your score went down, but I certainly wouldn't call a 162 "abysmal!" It's up to you whether you take the next LSAT, and you've already heard a lot of advice on that point. I would advise against including an addendum to "explain away" your third score. First, there's really nothing to explain--you didn't have any sort of external circumstance or adverse life event that affected your test day, and a 162 is lower but not hugely different from your other scores. The schools you apply to will see that you have taken the LSAT 3-4 times and understand that you have been working for a higher score.

I would, instead, put effort into improving your personal statement. Make sure it highlights what makes you want to go to law school and shows you as unique/offering unique perspectives or life/work experiences. Make sure the personal statement has a strong theme and is not just a restatement of your resume. Consider answering questions like: How does your current work relate to your career goals? What kinds of activities/extracurriculars do you plan to take part in while in law school? If you know that your school has a specialized program in an area of interest, consider including that in your statement. Your personal statement should include past, present, and future, and the "future" portion should give the reader some idea of how you will contribute to the law school community.

And remember that the personal statement is a writing sample, and that it should showcase your writing ability. Make sure it reads clearly and expresses your ideas in an organized manner.

As another poster commented, make sure these elements of your application that are entirely within your control are mint! As far as the letters of recommendation, if you are able to get one out of your current position, don't be shy about asking the recommender to comment on particular aspects of your personality/experience that would mesh well with your personal statement, resume, and application as a whole. A successful application will communicate a clear, complete, and cohesive picture of you as a candidate.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the help!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.